First time recording a band that I'm not in.

justwantyou2kno

I recorded my friend's band because their singer/bassist was moving away and they wanted to get what they had written recorded. The recording was very rushed, so the performances are not error free, but I'd like to get some feedback of how well I did recording them. They were going for a kind've lo-fi sound (hence the skipping of the guitar at the beginning and the almost distorted vocals) I think it turned out pretty good.

"Apple Cider Days" is the song I'd like you all to listen to and tell me what you think of the recording job.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/470/kellys_okay.html

edit: What are tips to get bass solos to stick out of the mix more? I had never dealt with one before this song.

Last edited:
yikes, some major timing issues starting around 00:20. the drummer and the bass player really need to get in a room and practice for about a year.

the vox sound pretty muffled. i might try cutting a little low end from them. i also hear some plosives.

Okay, I'm at 2:55 and that drummer needs to be fired (or sobered up).

Decent bass sound you got there. Very early Cure-sounding. I know they're going for a lo-fi sound but I think the vox are the weakest link here - they sound absolutely dry and kinda like they were recorded in a closet. You could do a little more with them without making the whole thing sound too "produced".

Chris

ok, in the beggining, try cutting down the guitars a slight notch, then the vocals... erm redo that whole take, and then fix it up with a compressor or such... the song itself sounds catchy, im not into punk but it sounds fine. but groucho is right, the drummer and bassist need to be beaten with their instruments senseless...

LMAO and i just got to the TU TU TU TU TAAAA DAAAA part.... LMAO add a cool little chorus effect to that , :-D thats a hit single man

have the guitarist turn the distortion down a little bit and add less highs and a little more mids. It sound really thin. Also it sounds like hes also got some kind of reverb on it, have him take that off if he wants it to sound bigger.

Everything sounds pretty much in the middle and in weird spots with the panning. Try recording the guitar twice and panning one hard left and the other hard right. The Drums also sound like they are too far away, and thin for this style of music. Maybe its all you can do with your setup so i dunno. The vocalist needs some compression and needs to be more consistent where he puts his lips.

During the little guitar solo thingy i can hear alot of talking in the back.

One more thing i noticed about the guitar, it sounds like its directly on axis with the speaker and it makes it sound brittle. Try bringing it off axis a bit. Go research a bit with mic placements on guitar amps.

The bass doesnt have much bass in it. Sounds pretty good in the 800Hz area but it just sounds like it has a little too much.

danny

I agree with the vocals sounding muddy. The singer wanted to do vocals while he played bass with the rest of his band into his 57.

As far as panning goes, where should I pan a three piece? the only panning I did was left overhead hard left and right overhead hard right.

The drums are in stereo? they dont sound very wide to me. What stereo placement did you use?

It wasnt really the drums i was concerned with. What really would have helped the most was to record the guitar twice and pan one hard left and the other hard right. Really leaves room for the rest of the instruments in the middle. This will make it sound much more bigger also.

danny

Back