First time mixing a bass guitar with an acoustic guitar

randyfromde

I was able to borrow a bass guitar for one of my songs. Up until this point, I've just focused on acoustic guitar and voice.

If anyone could comment on the mix I have made, that would be great. This has definitely been my most ambitious recording to date, with guitar/vocal/bass/guitar fills/finger snaps. I read somewhere on this board about rolling off the low end of the acoustic guitar so it doesn't clash with the bass, which I tried. Everything else, I've tried to EQ through mic placement.

If for some reason the link doesn't work directly, the song is called "Tell me twice"

www.randyzwitch.com

Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Yeah you really want to try roll a little more of that acoustic bass off, and maybe try recording that acoustic in stereo. I recently used an sm57 and miked about 4 inches where the neck meets body, and used a pickup to add a really twangy tone, maybe try somethin like that, it could really spice up the tune. Or even 2 mics.
If you want a couple methods for acoustic miking maybe this will help a bit:

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/acguitrectec.html

If you have a pair of mic's try some of those out.

Sometimes the bass guitar is swelling a little and disappears a couple times during mix, maybe add a bit of compression to the bass, but not too much I'd say. But still sounds pretty good. I'm trying to debate whether there is a little too much of a proximity effect on the vocals, they are very upfront, so maybe try experimenting with different vocal miking distances, just as a suggestion. I like the fadeout, very cool. Sounds good, keep up good work.

That's a good song for Sunday afternoon. I like the guitar. I agree with packratlouie about needed to get more definition between the bass and acoustic. Maybe drop down an octave on the bass, or do some EQing to carve out a space between them. You might try cutting the guitar below 200hz.

Hey guys, thanks for listening! Here's how I did the track (if I remember correctly)

Guitar: Single Oktava MK012 at the 12 fret on a Gibson J45, about 8" back for the rhythm guitar.

Bass: Direct

Vocals: Same Oktava MK012, about 9" back, at forehead level pointing down towards my mouth.

I only went with a single mic on the guitar because it's a "slappy" part. Wasn't sure that needed to be a "big" stereo piece, especially with the addition of the bass. I rolled off everything below 125HZ (I think on the acoustic). The fills were close mic'd acoustic to give it a more powerful delivery.

The only compression I used on the guitar parts was to even out the slap peaks, everything else was just passed through. Then a light reverb to finish.

As far as the bass goes, I did compress it....but I guess not enough! How will I know it's 'right'? Now that you mention it, I definitely notice that it's presense is variable throughout the track. Sometimes it's nice and round definition, then other times it's just one big sound meshed together. Am I looking to pretty much get an even .wav picture on the screen?

Thanks guys!

that was awsome.
I really liked this song and the mix job. The guitar licks blended perfectly with the vocals. I think it was the verb that i heard but i definately got a jazzy/upbeat feeling from this song. pretty solid.

wow, nice song... nice playing...

personally for me, for this kinda song I would take away the bass and let the rhythm guitar have the full spectrum.... maybe multiple mics for a fuller sound.... :)

my $0.02...

Hey, thanks for listening!

The instrumentation definitely has been my biggest struggle with this song. Many people have echoed your statement about stripping it down evern further. I've got to get it figured out by the end of the month....I'm starting work on my first album! To me, the bass adds a bit of bounciness to the track.

I'm thinking that it's going to come down to me recording two versions: One real sparse, the "sitting on the front porch drinking beer" instrumentation, and one full rock/pop band. I want the "full" sound, but everyone else seems to say the opposite!

I understand what you mean, sometimes us homerec'er struggle with the concept "less is more" ;)

however, for the "full" version, I suggest you add in some drum/percussion tracks... that would work as well.... :)

Back