First time member and home recorder

casey3115

I am a college student and a music major and just recently i went to the studio with my friends for them to record their newest demo. I sat in the control booth the whole time and learned what i could (didnt figure out much) now i have a great facination with home recording and i want very much to start playing around with home recording.

i will need to be able to mic 1 electric guitar, 1 acoustic, few different vocal mics, mics for my piano, and mics for conga drums and a normal set. i liked the way everything was working in the studio. i believe he called it scratch tracks, we could turn off certain tracks, and just listen to others, and so on. i would like very much to be able to multitrack. play around with each independant layer before the final mix down.

i dont know anyhting about what im looking to do. if i want digital , analog, or the necessary equippment. i am very proficient with computers and anyhting electronic. if anyone can get me started in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks. casey

Welcome Casey. Wow what a post. I can definitely understand the fascination. Those are some broad questions, and so far it seems your needs are pretty basic. But there's alot more you can add, especially budget I think 'cause there are so many layers and directions to go. Money can usually answer the question pretty quickly. Are you good with a computer? If so, digital is the way to go, but can also be acheived with a stand alone hard disk recorder and no computer. Your going to need a bunch of stuff of course, mixers, preamps, a good space, a good computer if you chose that route, monitors, etc. Dig around the threads here, use the search function, there's a wealth of information that will probably start to answer your initial questions so you can get more specific help when you're ready. Good luck! :D

the studio guy was using a reel to reel, he also had a huge board, and a large rack full of stuff which i had no idea to its use.

also the budget thing isnt the biggest worry right now because i will be buying slowly, part by part. and i have money for a good start i believe. also the computer situation is taken care of. building computers is a little hobby of mine and ive aquired many. i have 3 fully funtional computers. 2 running at 1 ghz and the other at 2ghz. and i also have a pair of 19" high res monitors. as far as getting these rigs ready for recording all i need is a different sound card.

thank you to all whom replied.

casey3115 said:
also the budget thing isnt the biggest worry right now because i will be buying slowly, part by part. and i have money for a good start i believe

I'm guessing you haven't looked closely at component prices ;) Seriously what is your budget? You can probably spend the entire budget on 20 items or one depending on the level of quality you want.

Do you need to record all those parts at once? That usually starts to up the cost pretty fast.

casey3115 said:
...also the budget thing isnt the biggest worry right now....
Well, that is a good think casey3115. ;)

The reason we keep asking you about your budget, is because there are a thousand different directions we could point you towards.

Your idea of a budget and our idea of a budget are. I'm sure, are very different. :eek:

Even, if you do purchase the seperate components piece-by-piece, we still need to know how much you can afford to spend on the individual pieces.

For instance, I might say. "Buy the 'Manley Slam'" (Stereo Limiter/Mic-Pre).
http://www.manleylabs.com/containerpages/SLAM.html

But, you might not have the $6.6k for the piece.

So, once again, please give us your budget. ;)

peace....

If you're going to use the computer, look into what kind of sound card you want. The Delta 1010 might be something to look into. 10 separate tracks, and that sounds like what you are looking to do. As for mics, get a couple shure sm-57. They'll get you started and give you a better idea of what you need, the good thing about these is that they are relatively inexpensive, but you'll continue to use them

sorry

i was out of town for the weekend. I have about a grand ready to spend. and i still have alot of time before im worried about getting it all set up. so ill be making more and more money that whole time. and i wont have every thing all set up for another 6 months or so... really what i want now is the knowledge. im interested in the process. what each componets function is and so on. if someone can refer me to a book, or preferably a web posting taht i can look through. so right now im looking for a basic start on the 6month task of building a home recording studio. my main worry is geting stuff thats too basic that ill have to upgrade from in the near future after my knowledge and needs have changed.... thanks all.

casey

Back