First time home recording..do I need phantom power?

NeoAndDistinct

I decided I want to start recording songs at my home. I am doing some online shopping and need some advice:

I am about to purchase a CAD U37 USB Condenser Microphone and I was wondering if I need phantom power? I will probably only being singing genres such as neo-soul and alternative. Also the microphone is all I have so what other materials will I need that is inexpensive?

Thanks in advance!

I decided I want to start recording songs at my home. I am doing some online shopping and need some advice:

I am about to purchase a CAD U37 USB Condenser Microphone and I was wondering if I need phantom power? I will probably only being singing genres such as neo-soul and alternative. Also the microphone is all I have so what other materials will I need that is inexpensive?

Thanks in advance!

No, the mic will get its power through the USB port.

If you're about to SERIOUSLY start recording, then reconsider buying a USB microphone at all. Read all the stickies at the top of the forum and do your research.

If you just want to play around, sure, it'll be fine.

As my friend up there said if you are really into recording real music don´t go for USB ; my own experience trust me i have a USB mic and it´s not good for recording it did costed me like 150 $ it´s a shure pg 27 USB and yes i learned alot from it but if you are really into it buy a condenser microphone XLR instead of USB

USB ; NO
XLR ; YES

Yup. An $80 usb mic is a $40 mic and a $40 interface/soundcard combined.

cheap + cheap = meh

Get yourself a real mic (Shure sm57 or sm58) and a usb interface.
You'll spend a little bit more but you wont be throwing away the $80 usb mic.

Back