First time ever singing

Jim D

Hindsight demo by Stoneface on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I've been a rhythm guitarist/songwriter for a while. I just started a new project with an old friend/bandmate and we both agreed to try singing. I never liked the sound of my voice and even feel a little self concious singing in an empty house. ut it is something I'd like to work on, instead of always having to rely on someone elses voice.

So I guess what I'm asking is if you guys hear any potential here or if you think I should stay at least 20 feet away from a mic at all times. You can critique the actual mix if you want, but its a quickie (from written to recorded in about 3 or 4 hours) and there are some mistakes.

Run a highpass filter on the voice and maybe cut a bit of low mids as well, and then you could hear your voice well enough to know what it sounds like. haha

I like what I can hear of your voice though. You got a kind of speaky talky kind of singing style and deliver the message okay. You could work with it. I bet if you re-recorded it with a tighter rhythm and a nicer sound and levels on the tracks in the mix, it would be listenable. Go for it.

Thanks alot dobro. I appreciate the feedback. I'm still working on learning all the tricks to make a good mix and my usual style is a bit heavier, but I don't have the confidence yet to really belt out the vocals. I'm more concerned about a good melody, staying in key, etc... Not being able to sing has been a handicap for a long time and I'm hoping to be at least be fair at it. I'm also not big at posting my songs online, but I know I need some good feedback so here I am. Thanks for listening.

Back