First Sun - another new song that needs your feedback!

leavings

Hi again all,

here's another song from the new album; this one will likely be the first track. I've got until the 21st to nail these mixes down, so please give me your feedback, suggestions, criticisms, and praises. One specific question I have is whether you think it needs some percussion like a tambourine or shaker in the background. Is the rhythm section adequate, or should I add more?

You can listen on the soundcloud file below or at Reverb Nation here.

Thanks!

Both tambourine & shaker would be cool BUT tambourine is REALLY hard to do right & sit in a mix well.
Then again once the piano & fem vox come in there's not real need except for accents as you develop the texture.
You'll also have to work on the guitar EQ if you add tambourine as it'll overlap some freqs.
Good recording & lovely peformances by the way.
yeah, on thrid thoughts some tambourine accents would be cool but not essential.
Skip the shaker because you'll probably get caught in the same rhythm of the acoustic and that'll cause problems.

The problem with percussion is it sounds good when you add it to the chorus, for example, then there a big drop when you take it out for the verses. Bit of a baance issue I guess.
Fabulous performance BTW!

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I updated the mix with the following changes:

1 - Added tambourine to last chorus. Ido was right, the verses suffered when I added it to other choruses.
2 - Added a big reverb slap to the stop in the last chorus (around 4:18)
3 - Mixed out some fret noise from the electric guitar
4 - Beefed up the guitar solo tone
5 - Reworked the vocals to fit a little better in the mix. Adjusted reverb times and dialed down the high eq. shelf I had on both tracks.

Listen at the new Soundcloud link below, or on Reverb Nation here.

I thought it sounded very nice. I liked the song. Performances are all very good. Good voices.

I thought maybe the guitar was a little low in the mix. It also sounds just bit muffled. Like it's missing energy above 6-7K or so. Just a guess.

Nice tweaking - the song's a good'un and you ehnaced that - all in service of the song - can't go wrong.

Back