First song

barks62

I'm not sure where to upload this, so I'm hoping the MP3 clinic is a good place to start. This is the first song I've tried to write music for after years of collaborating with a very talented musician friend. Unfortunately I can't sing so there are no vocals, but I'm hoping some of you can sit through 5:30 of instrumental. I've only been playing guitar since Christmas, so this is very amateur-ish. Also, I grew up with the '80s power ballads, so that's the direction this ended up taking. I feel like I should apologize for that, lol.

Thanks for listening. Criticism welcome, but go easy on me. I'm sensitive...

Attachments

• 03 The Picture.mp3
    4.9 MB · Views: 19
Well, I'm not a guitar player, but I thought the guitar playing sounded good!
As far as the midi drums go, I would recommend changing the sounds of the crashes and the ride (they sounded a bit odd, very short sustain and little shimmer) to maybe changing to ones with a little longer sustain. Same thing for the toms.

Otherwise, you did great for a first song. Keep it up man, your doing good! :)

i thought it sounded pretty good. I liked the distorted guitar sound - at least in this mix.

I thought the clean guitar was a little on the thin side. I thought it needed a little more low end.

Thanks for the feedback. TripleM, I'm never sure how much low end to give the guitars, whether distorted or clean. When I'm recording and mixing I use headphones (not ideal, I know, but it's the only option I have), and it sounds really full through those. I'll make sure to crank that up next time.

DrumRookie, I know exactly what you mean about the cymbals. I use a Tascam 2488 to record, not a DAW, so I couldn't use a plugin like EZ Drummer for the drums. I ended up using PC Drummer, which is a stand alone program, then I output a .wav file into the Tascam for my drum track. Well, PC Drummer is a nice program, but it only has one crash cymbal. So, to accent that lone crash, I added a splash or china to some of my crash cymbals. (keep in mind, I'm no drummer!!) The splash totally dominates the sound when I use it, even if I drop the velocity way down. I should probably just take it out, but haven't done it yet. I think that's part of the reason why the cymbals sound strange. As for the tom and cymbal sounds, PC Drummer doesn't have a lot of options (but it only cost $50, so I can't complain too much). I really need to go to PC recording so I can get the better plugins like EZ drummer and Guitar Rig, but I don't have that kind of money to shell out yet, so I'm stuck with my Behringer V-amp and my Tascam for the time being.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the feedback!

I'm not sure where to upload this, so I'm hoping the MP3 clinic is a good place to start. This is the first song I've tried to write music for after years of collaborating with a very talented musician friend. Unfortunately I can't sing so there are no vocals, but I'm hoping some of you can sit through 5:30 of instrumental. I've only been playing guitar since Christmas, so this is very amateur-ish. Also, I grew up with the '80s power ballads, so that's the direction this ended up taking. I feel like I should apologize for that, lol.

Thanks for listening. Criticism welcome, but go easy on me. I'm sensitive...

low pass filter on the intro gtr around 120 hrtz, -6 at least. will give it punch when the bass hits. kick is not complementing the bass, less mud at 80, more click at 3000 or so might help. way too much muddy low end over all, the low pass filter and bass eq's could help. snare sounds well placed in drum kit tho, in an instrumental, the gtr dynamics in my opinion should at least hit the snare 30%. raise the guitar, down the gtr comp?

Back