First song post. Feedback plz...?

BigMuffinMan

Hey Im just looking for some honest criticism of a 'song' I recorded.
Its an 'every instrument played by me' overdub thing, no lyrics.

Tell me what you think of the mix, the arrangement, anything. Don;t just say "awesome song man!" I want real feedback.

Oh the drums are not exactly perfect I know (theres on big mistake near the beginning its ok after, I just got an electronic kit and im not that good.

http://www.myspace.com/bluesfortheredsun000

The song is called "new3" the other ones are old as f*&#.

Hi. The sound isn't too good. Your guitars sound much too muffled to my taste and the drone turns me off after a while. The song sounds disjointed, not only because of the hard left panned guitar which sounds like a girlfriend nagging over in the kitchen. Your mix doesn't tie your elements together imo. I don't hear a bass, I suppose this is on purpose, it could help with integration. The song is repetitive and long, which I find suboptimal. It's not bad though, and listening it through I was almost sorry that I've temporarily stopped smoking weed because I think I would've quite liked the song dozing off. Although the end would've probably sobered me up pretty quickly. Don't mean to be overly negative here, there's just work to be done, I suggest you get to it.

Without being able to listen to the tune just yet, what's with all the muffin people joining here lately? It's incredibly strange :confused:

Ok, well, I listened to several of your songs on our site, the thing that stood out right away was the cycle hum coming from your guitar and amp. You really need to eliminate that, try standing farther away or something because it's a huge distraction in your mix.

The drums on new3 sounded like they were recorded from across the street... not trying to be harsh, just trying to be constructive. :)

Trippy shit. Its cool. The mix could use some help. But I like the dull guitar sound on this, it lends to the dreamy vibe. The drums need to sizzle more and send it over and Ill put some suboptimal bass on it.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ive been trying to get a better sound out of my drums but I dont really know how, I think part of the problem is the entire kit is recorded on one channel from the MIDI module so I cant have like the snare panned left, ride right etc..

I know its kinda 'disjointed' as one person put it, I tend to just just come up with an idea and record it and then add stuff to the recording without planning the whole song ahead of time.

The comment on the cycle hum is weird though, none of anything on there had anything to do with a guitar amp, its all DI.

too bad myspace only works 1/2 the time, and now isn't one of those times.... try a different host, like soundclick - I never ever had a problem there....

Back