First song in 11 months, thank goodness!

Strat1958

Late-blooming songwriter!
OK it's full of cliches, the rhymes are easy, and the drums are just a drum track.
But I really enjoyed writing and recording this song, mainly because it broke an 11-month dry spell.
I got the idea after seeing a Caribbean hotel commercial.

Drums, bass and synth are JamStudio, guitars and vocals are me, sax is Mixcraft. Recorded on a Zoom HD8.

PERFECT DAY
c. Mike Pilling 2012

V1
yeah i'm leaned way back in the corner
trailing my hand in the water
trying to think of a time that was half this good

sun is setting behind us
look around, here's where you'll find us
time to do as we please, just because we could

(it's really just a state of mind)

CH
Simply want to say
It's a perfect day
make the most of our time, just to feel alive
Gettin' out to play
On this perfect day
gonna kick off the dust of the 9 to 5

V2
bob marley’s on the radio
cocktail in hand, well there ya go
feets are up, life is good, i must say this was quite well played

wonder what song'll be next to play
doesn't really matter this perfect day
......is it time to go back to the shade?

(it's time to turn down the noise)

Simply want to say
It's a perfect day
It's OK to play
On this perfect day

BRIDGE
gonna throw our troubles to the sky
don't even have to wonder why

Simply want to say
It's a perfect day
Mmmm, out to play
On this perfect day

I like the nice relaxed feel of the whole song. Makes me want to head down to somewhere warm and watch the ocean as I sip on an adult beverage. Thanks for sharing. The only nit I have about the mix is the strummed electric with tremolo in the left channel is a bit loud in places. Maybe some volume automation to even it out and help it blend better during the softer parts of the song.

Very good song and a well-balanced mix.
Yes, at times the voice is minimally pitchy but nothing that can't be fixed. Guitars sound great to me, very limpid and clear. Are they miced or sim?
Nice work!

long time no hear . . . but it was worth the wait! You seem to have a knack for producing easy, relaxed songs. Very tranquil!

Unlike my acronymical twin, I didn't mind the tremolo guitar at all.

I like the fact that there is a lot to listen to in this song . . . interesting little bits popping in every now and again.

Well done!

Yeah, the vocals are a bit pitchy...but that's cause I'm not a singer, really.

I remember watching a documentary on the making of the music video for "Tears Are Not Enough", which was the Canadian song for Ethiopian famine relief (like "We Are The World").

Neil Young kept doing his part, and producer David Foster kept stopping the tape, rewinding, and making him sing the part again. After the umpteenth time, Neil asked David what it was he didn't like. Foster said he was wavering in his pitch, and going off key with the background track.

Neil's immortal words: "But that's my sound, man".

I will plead the same.

Gecko....how nice to see you again! Thanks for the props; I will never forget how you transformed my song "The Blue Horizon". Your critique means a lot.

Very good song and a well-balanced mix.
....Guitars sound great to me, very limpid and clear. Are they miced or sim?
Nice work!

The rhythm guitar is JamStudio, the lead and trem guitar are my Ibanez plugged directly into the deck. The lead is going through a Fender Twin sim, and the trem is Roland Jazz Chorus sim.

The rhythm guitar was meant to be used as a scratch track to play everything else along with, kinda like a click track. I was going to record over it with my Martin at the end of the process. But in the end, I liked how it sounded, so I kept it in the mix!

Thanks for the comment!

Just to be clear. I love the trem guitar. I think it sounds great. I was only saying that here and there, listening in headphones, it sort of smacks you in the ear. It's just a fine tuning issue, not a big one. Still love the song

Generally a nice feel to the song. Yeah a couple of pitchy spots. But like someone said, they sound like something that's easily fixed. Just listen closely and punch them out.

What effects are on the acoustic guitar? It kind of sounds a little swirly and glassy. I think a more natural acoustic guitar tone would be nice. It's a little on the thin side. Maybe add (back) some lower end and low mids.

To me the bass is a little strong for a song like this. I can hear this kind of bass on an upbeat pop/rock tune. But for a more relaxed song like this I'd remove some of its low end.

Good song, Mike! I enjoyed the song itself (composition), as well as your performance. Nicely done, all around. :)

Last edited:
Back