First recording on PC

Shana

Hi everyone,

I havent posted anything in months. Maybe over a year.
This the first thing I recorded on my computer and I was actually disappointed because I thought it would be so much LOUDER than what ive been recording until now (br8). Im gonna have to try burning it straight from the computer (instead of thru the mixer) and see what I get.

The song is for some guys wedding. Its called "woman of valour" or "aishel chayil"
Its in Hebrew, and its only half a song. It is the LAST song.

Main question being: shouldnt I be getting a better sound than that?
WWW.JAVAMUSIC.COM/CHANALE
Login:Lady
Password:watermelon

Thank you:)
Shana

Haven't listened yet, but a quick general note about your loudness questions:

First off is signal levels. You need to get good signal levels-- basically about as high as you can without clipping the analog-to-digital converters -- for the best results.

Then there's dynamic range, If your stuff has a wide dynaic range, so that the occasional peaks are much louder than the quietest moments, the overall perceived loudness will be less. You need to use compression to reduce the dynamic range. This is pretty standard mixing practice especially in pop and rock music (often even to the point of overuse, so every track is "slammin'" and "phat" and there's no subtlety or variety left).

If your signal levels are good, then I think you probably need to lear how to wield a compressor next. There's plenty of good articles, primers, etc. avbailable on the web, in recording magazines, and in recording books.

I dont think it's a good idea for you to be posting your password and log-in at that site.
That will enable someone to go in and alter your account or maybe delete everything.You might wanna change it now that it has been posted.

The song is really good.Jewish?It sounds pretty loud to me on my Teac Powermax speakers.It's right on target as far as volume goes.It matches up with everything I else I listen to.

No weakness in volume on my end.

Last edited:
Hi Chanaleh,

Nice to see you back, first of all!
The tune is real nice. I would turn the piano down a bit, it sometimes overpowers your voice, but other then that, great job!
I have a bit of a problem with your Ashkenazi Hebrew. No one in the last 100 years (outside Brooklyn :) ) has ever pronounced the latter Taf as a S. (Eshet Chayil, not Eshess Chayil)., but that's really picky :D

It's always nice to see some Jewish presence in this board ;)

Shabbat Shalom,

Oren

Hey there,
Dont worry, thats not MY password. I just made it up so others can easily login. I'll switch sites eventually.
As for my accent, firstly im IN brooklyn:), and secondly the people who buy my songs are ashkanazi and all sing with the 'suf".
I still feel like it is not loud enough, I have to crank it up all the way to hear it loud in my car. I'll keep trying. Thanx
Shana/Chanale

If your software is capable of using VST plugins, you can try a cute little piece of software calles endorphine.
www.digitalfishphones.com
Play around with it, and your mixes will sound as loud as you want.
By the way, it sounds pretty loud on my system...

Oren

Lovely Piano, Lovely Singin

After much faffing around I only managed to listen to it in Lofi. Obviously this doesn`t do it justice, but your voice sounds great.

Adios

Erland

Alchuck
Wield a compressor? I dont even HAVE a compressor. But I know thats a must so thats next on the agenda. I think the root of the problem is that I didnt record hot enough to begin with. So I lost some volume there. I;m gonna keep messing around. Question is:how close to a commercial cd can i expect it to be? Switch from my cd to someother cd laying around and its depressing.
Thanx
Shana

The endorphine plugin IS a compressor. A 2 band compressor, as a matter of fact.
What exactly is your setup? (Software, sound card, microphones, etc.)

Oren

the mix seems well balanced, the vocals are beautiful as usual.....a great job......

as far as the levels, it might not be as hot as a commercial CD, but one thing ive learned here is that trying to compete with commercial CD levels is a bad thing......

of course you can do some compression/limiting to get you where you want, but you will sacrafice the dynamics.......

so ill echo dtb..."dont change anything"......

very nice....I'd take a better pno sound (wider stereo?) if possible. ....like the strings. Good vocals too...maybe bordering on a tad "harsh." Volume is fine to me...how loud do you want it?:p

Back