First recording in student house!

technominds

This is my first recording since moving in and setting up my equipment in my student accommodation.

Here's the setup:
Housemates Yamaha Kit
3x 58's for snare and toms
2x audio technica ovh's
unbranded kick drum mic

all through my mixer to my layla24

guitars and bass all played direct and plugins used to get the sounds!

vocal recorded with a B2 Behringer

All mixed on Sonar, with my Fostex PM2 monitors.

Here's the link:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=15465

Let me know what you think as its my first full band recording mixed in an extremely budget home studio!

-TM

Dude, I think that sounds really good. My only complaint is that the individual drums need alot more presence. The kick is maybe the best, but the snare especially sounds really washed out. I'm assuming you are premixing a stereo track for the drums, so that means using less OH and way more individual mics. Just a suggestion!

Dude, I think that sounds really good. My only complaint is that the individual drums need alot more presence. The kick is maybe the best, but the snare especially sounds really washed out. I'm assuming you are premixing a stereo track for the drums, so that means using less OH and way more individual mics. Just a suggestion!

Much appreciated!

Listening back on some reference, turns out my monitors are very mid-heavy.. giving me the impression the snare was louder than it was.

Any other tips for getting the drums to the front of the mix?

Ha! You're living the dream. Good on you. On headphones this sounds really good. If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't notice the direct guitars. I like the different sounds you're using too. If you want the snare out front try doubling the snare track and compressing it savagely. Good stuff

Ha! You're living the dream. Good on you. On headphones this sounds really good. If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't notice the direct guitars. I like the different sounds you're using too. If you want the snare out front try doubling the snare track and compressing it savagely. Good stuff

=] Guitar Rig is possibly the best thing ever!
Wont that give me a phased snare?

Yeah, that sounds pretty good.

I agree the drums could use a little more snap.

I can definitely tell that the guitars are DI during the parts with less instrumentation (the intro and that bass interlude near the middle for example). I think it's the lack of background noise that a mic would have given you. But when the rest of the instrumentation kicks in, I can't tell.

Good work. Sounds way better than the stuff I did in college!

Much appreciated!

Listening back on some reference, turns out my monitors are very mid-heavy.. giving me the impression the snare was louder than it was.

Any other tips for getting the drums to the front of the mix?

Mainly just a little less OH and more individual mics. If you are recording each mic to separate tracks, maybe try a little limiting on the snare and kick to fatten them up? Not sure if that would help, just mess around with it until you like it!

=] Guitar Rig is possibly the best thing ever!
Wont that give me a phased snare?

only if your compressor adds delay that isn't compensated for....i had that issue recently.....ended up manually adding delay to the original to match the compressed version. :)

sounds great,,i like it :) bit of a dave grohl thing goin on there?????

Guitars sound kinda tinny and need more presence in the right channel. Tempo fluctuates here and there. Snare needs more rip.. kinda gets lost in the mix, and the kick needs a little more punch as well. Sounds very good for starting out!

only if your compressor adds delay that isn't compensated for....i had that issue recently.....ended up manually adding delay to the original to match the compressed version. :)

sounds great,,i like it :) bit of a dave grohl thing goin on there?????

haha, they are huge foo fans so that i'l let him know you said that!

I still get a phase, but I decided to just turn everything else down and wack the snare up a tad!

Guitars sound kinda tinny and need more presence in the right channel. Tempo fluctuates here and there. Snare needs more rip.. kinda gets lost in the mix, and the kick needs a little more punch as well. Sounds very good for starting out!

I noticed that about the guitars, although if I reduce the high-mid frequencies they seem a little dead or muddy. Also, if I add too much low end it tends to make the bass less defined. I'l have to try and tweak it.

The tempo, I agree, but I wasnt on the kit, and we didnt have time for more than 3 takes, this was the third; all in one take.

Thanks for the advice, i'l have their second track up soon and when I get time to re-mix this one i'l post it too!

Back