First Post - Retracking horn solos

Poco

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum, tho I have read many of your informative works. I usually hang at the Sonar forums provided by Cakewalk, but there appears to be a lot of knowledgeable folks here concerning recording techniques.

I had the opportunity last weekend to record 20 or so great jazz musicians from the Navy School of Music, and the Continental Army Jazz Band. I track on an MX-2424 and mix in Sonar.

There were several different combinations of players that each played one tune. There were several challenges involved, as the bass was acoustic upright, and there was a B3 with Leslie in the mix. I used three rooms of my house to do all this stuff. The upstairs studio, loft (for drum iso), and the downstairs living room for the Hammond (the hammond player says he has a five stair limit :D ).

The problem is this: The horn solos and string bass were in the same room. There were some problems that we did not pick up on during recording (no matter how good the group, one hour for each song - when some are 11 minutes long - is not enough to check every track carefully). The bottom line is I need to retrack some solos. They, of course bled all over the bass tracks. The solos are all improvised and will be quite diferent from take to take, so when the new one is laid down the old one will still be heard on the bass tracks. Without bringing in the bassist again, the only thing I can think to do is to invert the original solo track to null the bleed on the bass tracks. I have not tried this. Do think it will work? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Poco

The bleed would not be a problem if I was sticking with the original solo. The problem lies with retracking the solo, but hearing the original in the bass tracks. The new solo, being improvised, will be substantially different than the original.

Thanks,

Poco

Back