first post in here-all feedback appreciated

zer0sig

headpiece full of straw
i hang out in many of the other forums, but don't have broadband, and so i usually don't manage to download many of the songs (though that 1.5-hr compose/perform/record challenge really entertained me), and haven't felt like i should post much as of yet. i guess i changed my mind: i have a link to 10 somewhat outdated recordings (there being no newer ones) at

http://207.14.235.4/zer0sig - would love any kind of feedback on
recordings, songs themselves, performances, etc. for reference, 6 of these are covers (3 tool songs, 1 alice in chains, 1 nine inch nails, 1 system of a down), making 4 originals. those 4 originals, in chronological order of recording, are:

that SHOULD be correct. i would love any kind of feedback-feel free to tear into any aspect of any of these recordings-they're done with cheap equipment, in one take (one take on vocs, and one take on guitar)-little eq/effects on most, some obvious performance errors that i left in because they sounded honest to me. any feedback i get would be a great help for when i finally get around to recording more. i'm hoping to record a full-length of originals, recorded straight through like a live set. anyway, yeah, enough prattle, thanks in advance, guys!

edited because that was not correct.

Mom better not catch you out, you remember what happened last time you stayed out past your bedtime.

And put my guitar back in my room.

To think that anyone will think we're related.

p.s. wipe your face you've got this smeary shit all over it.

Last edited:
i'm guessing that avatar is a rendered one-i know mine is a screenshot, hence the "character marks"-heh.

i'd still love actual feedback on the music if anyone gets around to it.

Hi , I listened to lovehatelove the guitar sounds a little out of tune to me. real centered and distant. The vocals had a nice sound rich and full though dynamics got a little loud at times.

Peace
Bill

I listened to lovehateloved. It had an interesting title.

It's like the guitar slipped out of tune mid-song. I didn't initially hear any issues, but after about 2 minutes or so it slipped a bit.

Not sure about the vocals. What kind of mic did you use and how far away from it were you? There was a distant sound to the vocals. Their fidelity kind of broke down during the louder sections.

A little minor pitchness here and there. A little intimate reverb would probaby warm them nicely.

My ramblings, such as they are... Trip.

Haven't listened yet but I record the same way.
Performance oriented because I come from a music performance background. It just seems more honest.
Besides, my soundcard only allows one track at a time...........

i recorded with an audix-om3xb (hypercardioid dynamic), up pretty close when i could, but the levels kept pegging themselves when i'd ramp up for the choruses on love, hate, love, and the only thing i could come up with at the time (a couple/few years back, now!) was to not only lean back a few feet, but to hold a baffle (a cd case) between my voice and the mics. you're actually hearing the room in the higher parts of the chorus, not a direct voice. obviously, this needs work. the voice kept seeming to saturate the mics, though they're rated reasonably well as far as SPLs go.

yeah, the guitar probably went out of tune after the first chorus.

so far, the main points are to get better tuners and to figure out how to pipe my voice in better. i did hookerd1 (a cover of tool's hooker with a penis) in a bathroom, varying my position somewhat, but with no baffle. i think the size of the bathroom (not very big) allowed me to back off quite a bit without that same reverby distant sound.

i will have to shop for a compressor at some point.

thanks for the input, guys!

hevyd47, i am firmly convinced that the closer the recording is to an average day of me playing, the better a portrayal it is. i regularly retune between songs, because i beat the tar out of my guitar, and i don't really know how to work a mic yet, but those flaws sound real to me. better skill will not diminish it, but playing halfassedly just to make it all clean might.

Back