First post, have a question on mics and recording guitars/vocals and mono recordings

BriGreentea

Hello, I've been recording demos for my own pleasure last 12 some years. Strange, metal experimental prog I guess I would call it. After a 10 year break I made my first album recording onto Cool Edit Pro. I was getting used to that program now learned much about mastering. I also learned on the internet that recording in stereo into a computer for anything miced is not only pointless since it really only records into the left(at least on my pc it does) and makes up for the signal into stereo on the recording but to me when I tested mono vs stereo on just some guitar samples I noticed a big difference being as it seemed in stereo my signal was basically being half cut off. Like listening to car speakers with cheap wiring or not using all the copper. Maybe someone could elaborate more for me on this analogy.

One of the things that hindered the guitar(use a banjo on some tracks) using a Crate GX-130C halfstack and Ibanez both from 1993 and still working along with a DSP processor was the mic I was using. It was a Shure vocal mic (AXS-1) and is average for vocals and is less then stellar for guitars. It really had the tendency to drown out loudness at times and was not very clear. I also don't like my vocal mic for screaming which I do some of the time as it can get distorted. So this time I bought a GLS ES-57 and it's a huge difference. I even tested some vocals on this and now I'm wondering if I should record my vocals with this also? I noticed how quiet the mic is but seems to loose volume on softer speech so perhaps not. One website recommended buying a pop filter or just placing a hat over the mic? Does this work?

Last thing I was just trying to read about where to place my new instrument mic from the cone. Right on top of it, 2-3 inches, farther...then I see these guys using high dollar condenser mics and read up on them and basically using this placed much farther away from the other dynamic mic that is right up next to the speaker. Some of these instrument mics were sideways of the speaker cone (don't get that) and some were about 2 inches (where I figured is a good place) and has another stand with a condenser mic anywhere from a foot to more farther. I'm sure everyone here knows this or does this but I've never heard of this or done this and I've recorded in studios and worked in studios(long time ago though). I think I know what this is trying to accomplish but can't explain it in words. If I did this I would need a Y connector on my pc or a mixing board which really should have anyways but I'm on a budget and just doing this for fun.

Back