First Post ever....

jdavis

Hey guys,
Well, i've been surfing around this site for a couple years now, and i've FINALLY gotten around to uploading something. This isn't a final mix by any means, but a premix anyway. Still some major errors(doubled voices in first line of second verse about 1:00---oops, forgot to automate that mute...) Anyhoo, here's the link, let me know whatcha'll think!!!

take a look around my site at www.mtsu.edu/~jwd2a while you're at it!!!

Ciao ya'll

***Justin***

Whoa there, what are you mixing on, J? Are you checking this mix on different systems?

I was bowled over by the bass when everything kicked in around 1:00 even through the PS6's which aren't particularly bassy. A quick check on the stereo speakers confirmed my fears: the bass washes out all the clarity of the other instruments.

Listening more closely its the bass and the kick- way too much low end on those puppies, for my speakers at any rate.

Other than the intro feeling a little too long for me (although it did get me into a pretty thoughtful mood) I liked the song. I would have used different drum sounds, but then thats because I like the U2'y feel you've got going. The song feels cozy, if that makes any sense.

I'd like to hear this mix as it develops, too, since you mention that this is a rough mix.

Take care,
Chris

Your web site looks realy *cool*, too, by the way, but it took me longer than a few seconds to figure out where the links on the page were. That's death for a website if you want folks to actually use it. :)

yeah, I must admit, i'm a bit of a bass addict. I played it over my main stereo speakers after I mixed it, and since they have 15" woofers, it totally boomed. I loved the impact of the bass, and the groove it set up, but you're right, it muddles things a whole lot, especially the vocals. Thanks for listening and posting your advice!!!

Keep it coming!

***Justin***

this is no doubt, one of the best ways to learn...

lol, in your location think it says "right, like I'd tell you that".

Then you post a link from MTSU's website. So, Im guessing your from Knoxville....

I go to ETSU btw.

btw, do you know anyone named Banks Camack?
I used to work with him a few years ago. He transferred to MTSU to study music production.

you got me

Yeah, WC, I'm from Knoxville. Went to UT for a couple years to study architecture, before wising up(or not!!) and deciding to record for a living. I looked at ETSU last year, was thinking about getting into the digital animation thing. Pretty cool place.

Not heard of the guy you mentioned yet, but then, I just moved here a couple weeks ago...if I run into him, i'll let you know.

Thanks ya'll, keep the input going!

***Justin***

cool.
Im actually in the digital animation major.
There was just a new facility built for it. very cool looking.

Back