first pair of ribbon mics..?

wes480

If I wanted something good...that I can use for a long time, etc. etc.

Oktava ribbons any good? Which Royers would you reccomend?

For someone who has no experience with ribbon mics...but, just looking to try something new...instead of get yet another LD or SD Condensor?

And at what price point do you need to be in for a legit pair of ribbons that will give a good sound for their specific applications?

I have used the Royer R121, Shure (I think) 300, Beyer M160 (reribboned by Stephen Sank with the DX77 ribbons), the Coles 4038, RCA 77 and 44BX, and some others I cant remember. My favorite by a long way was the R121. With any of these, you need hi gain preamps.

You should try out the other Royers as well. I've heard the phantom powered R122s are great and you don't need as much gain in your pre.

I use an R-122 for recording brass (I wish I had 2). Excellent sound. So far I've just used the pres on my Omni I/O but plan to upgrade soon.
Dave

A Beyer M130 and M160 combination would be pretty cool. The M130 is figure-8 and the M160 is hypercardioid. That would give you some flexibility, and would allow for M/S stereo recording with them. You could also probably get a pair for the same price as a single Royer R121.

I've got a couple of Beyers (M130 & M260) and a couple of Fostex (one Fig8 & 1 cardioid - can't recall the model#s right now) and the Royer SF-12 (dual Fig.8s in Blumleiun config.). By far, the Royer sounds the best, with the possible exception of very loud sources, where the more robust Fostex mics make me feel a little safer. I particularly like the Royer with Vipres, though it also sounds really good through a more 'clinical' pre like the Earthworks or Grace models.

Scott

Back