First Organic Recording

jeffmaher

First all-real recording. A bluegrassy thing. Any serious fiddler here who wants to make it real good with an experienced bow hand? 44/16. dazzle me. The damn thang ain't got no frets. Toughest instrument I ever tried to learn. A month isn't long enough to make it sing.

Brushed drums, upright bass, dobro, guitar, banjo, mando, and irksomely flat fiddle performance.

Nits?

Attachments

• Hie to the Call Inst.mp3
    7.3 MB · Views: 67
Man... Love that jivin' bass! Nice tight drums. Voilin ain't bad, either, man. Props for a month's learning on it! Sounded good.

Nits would be the obvious click track between the intro-type-part and the rest of the song. Also, the noise in the background gets quite obvious when stuff settles down in the song from time to time. Also seemed like the violin was a bit dry compared with the rest of the instruments.

Man, this is hard to critique because I have my toe's tappin' the whole time. Hard to concentrate when the music wraps me in.

Good job, Jeff. Not nearly enough of this music is made now-days. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Very nice Jeff. I felt the violin sounded pretty loud compared to the other stuff. The percussions could come up a little. The guitar playing is totally awesome. Great, just like everything we're used to hearing from you....:)

Yeah that's pretty awesome. I agree with Joey's comments. I think a hair less fiddle and more drum would be good. You're getting quite a bit of frequency mashup going on near the end around 3:30 when the banjo, dobro, and guitar are all going at once. It sounds a little jumbled there, but not too bad. Bass sounds awesome. Cool song, impressive performances, and a fun listen.

I played with a fiddle player for a couple of years and so I can identify with this. Mike played with him for 25 years so he could do it with one hand! You do a fine job on the fiddle as far as I'm concerned. Great stuff!

Thanks. Really hoping some real fiddler will volunteer a likkedy track for me. No other instrument can make it happen, I think.

The upright bass in a Floria Carpathian from Romania. Real maple n' spruce. I flattened the neck...jazz style...and used a little Audix small diaphragm clip-on to track it. It's my favorite mic. Same mic with the guitar, too. Never sounded so good. None of the harsh clang I get with the 'better' mics I have. The low response is amazing.

I'm all set up with an Onyx 1620 firewire board....simultaneous tracks for the drum kit!! But [the house that Jack built] my old puter can't crunch the numbers. So....just ordered a super-stack with 16G RAM capability. My old Sonar platform will only go to 32bits and use 4G memory. This computer can do a lot more. Coolest thing is that I'll still have an XP OS. I'm kinda weary of the Windows 7. I hear a lot of complaints about glitches when operating legacy XP software programs. Future upgrade considerations.

Moving along.

Thanks for the crits. Very helpful. More stuff coming. A couple old 40's style jazz tunes...and some marshal music for a WWII movie a friend just finished. He nicked a broadcast contract with PBS. I need to make the most of this opportunity. Thank God fer plastic....I'm stimulatin' the 'conomy.

I hope to be around a lot more, listening to stuff here, soon. I unplugged from the net a while ago. Back on, soon. Old puter's new sole duty.

I like it. Nice changes.

Sounds like the EQ changed (for the better) on the fiddle. Did you change position relative to the mic? It went from hissy to mellow.

These acoustic wall of sound tunes are a bear to mix and EQ.

Good work.

Sounds great man! I agree with a lot of what's already been said: the fiddle sounds great, but I think it should come down some--the rest of the goodness behind the fiddle is getting lost. I think given the tone of the fiddle, it would still be front and center with a little less volume.

Kudos to you! Great stuff...

So this is what you've been up to for the last month. I'm very impressed. The playing is great, you captured it well. Agree with fiddle down, drums up. Also finger picked banjo needs to come up a tad, just a wee tad. Everything else is blended really well.

would be the obvious click track between the intro-type-part and the rest of the song. Also, the noise in the background gets quite obvious when stuff settles down in the song from time to time. Also seemed like the violin was a bit dry compared with the rest of the instruments. It is really amazing and outstanding.

would be the obvious click track between the intro-type-part and the rest of the song. Also, the noise in the background gets quite obvious when stuff settles down in the song from time to time. Also seemed like the violin was a bit dry compared with the rest of the instruments. It is really amazing and outstanding.

hmmm.......must be an echo in here. :confused::confused:

Anyway, very nice tune. Not to beat a dead horse, but I agree that the fiddle is a bit too "up front".

dunno how I missed this...havent heard one of your tracks in a while

Has a real celtic feel about it at the beginning which gets me going, then sounds like it should be the soundtrack in some modern western...very nice, no nits on the mix, wouldnt know where to start...all had a very live bouncy feel about it, like i was sitting in the room amongst them all..which I used to do in a pub back in Toronto <nostalgia sweeps over>

excellent overall

doesnt Beez play a fiddle??

Nothing wrong with the levels for me. As Manslick pointed out the chord progression is superb. When it starts out you think you know exactly where the song is going but then the major chords kick in an the thing gets really interesting. I can't believe you can play fiddle like that after 1 month!

I assume the audible click track after the intro is deliberate but personally I think it will always be seen as a mistake so I'd loose it. Otherwise perfect in my book.

This is absolutely great with all the instruments and stuff. You are a very talented man there Jeff. The fiddle ain't that bad, especially for the time invested in learning it. Can't wait to hear your next songs.

Chase up UPFIDDLER in the song writing forum - he might be waht you want.
The lead is a little loud - but only a horse's hair. I know the string bass should be boomy but I reckon you could tame it a tiny bit as it dominates a few spots.
VERY, very cool stuff.

Ah! Yes....the bass has been tamed. Using an off axis position to dampen the transient coming out of the F hole. That box shakes the house! And, yeah, the metronome was something I heard once , listening real loud, and forgot about at mastering time: it's a little below my freq threshold with my damaged ears. Much obliged for the notice. Mic picked it up on the headphones.

Still waiting for the superputer. I'll be back on line with regularity, soon.

It's really hard to accept the grit, clang, and imperfections after all the MIDI stuff I did....but I'm getting used to it. The reacti0on seems to be positive, generally, and the sound is really much better. I got a humbucked guitar, too. Hoping to make some real creamy rock trax ASAP. $50 bucks at a flea market! The trumpet I'm using was a $25 Craigs List find. The mouthpiece is a little kids' size. I'm making music with it, but I gotta purse lips real hard. A new mouthpiece costs more than I paid for the horn! Searching.

I'll talk and post and listen, soon.

Back