First new mix in a long time - what's good what's not

Sounded pretty good.
There were a few parts where the panning was "uneven" but I wouldn't be surprised it that's just how the song goes for the psychedelic effect. I mean the vocal part that goes "If you say... etc." feels heavy on the left ear and at other times heavy on the right ear.

Another piece of music that floats my boat. I thought this was excellent in every way ... APART from the vocal being too bright, to my ear. I've listened on reasonably good headphones and some decent monitors (a new purchase) and they're both telling me the same thing.

Top notch, but shelve off the vocal highs (a little). :D

Sounded pretty good.
There were a few parts where the panning was "uneven" but I wouldn't be surprised it that's just how the song goes for the psychedelic effect. I mean the vocal part that goes "If you say... etc." feels heavy on the left ear and at other times heavy on the right ear.

Yeah...I like a certain amount of side to side modulation but I don't like it when it goes too far. Feels like a worm moving around between your ears. I'm also trying to get a handle on not putting everything right down the center so the first backups in are hard left and center and the next to join hard right and center. Anyway...thanks for taking the time and I'll be listening for one side feeling more weighty than the other. Hadn't noticed.

Another piece of music that floats my boat. I thought this was excellent in every way ... APART from the vocal being too bright, to my ear. I've listened on reasonably good headphones and some decent monitors (a new purchase) and they're both telling me the same thing.

Top notch, but shelve off the vocal highs (a little). :D

Yeah....I totally struggle with that...I want the vocal bright and clear but then there's this high end harshness. I want to achieve bright and warm but maybe those are opposites. Do you know of an appropriate type of filter to handle the high ends specifically.

Anyway....really glad to here it "rocked your boat". As I work on these things my girlfriend telling me enough already....like I should be stopping at a dozen tracks or so. This one is huge at 39 tracks. For me it's like playing were's Waldo and once you can't find him there's too many tracks. This is on the verge of that I think. So...if it rocked someones boat that definitely goes on the plus side of the ledger.

Do you know of an appropriate type of filter to handle the high ends specifically.

The only one I know of (I don't know any of the high-end production tools) is your ears and your judgement. You can totally sort it yourself. If you can't judge it, then shelve the high frequencies in the vocal by half a dB from about 2 kHz upwards, then listen to it the next day and see how it sits. I don't think there's a magic bullet other than decent monitors, your ears, and sensible advice. Do you think you have a blind spot with the vocal e.q.? I only ask because everything else sounds well-judged.

By the way, a pro guy I know works with 150+ tracks, whereas my most "bloated" mix only had just over 30. The more tracks you have the harder it is to balance them.

The only one I know of (I don't know any of the high-end production tools) is your ears and your judgement. You can totally sort it yourself. If you can't judge it, then shelve the high frequencies in the vocal by half a dB from about 2 kHz upwards, then listen to it the next day and see how it sits. I don't think there's a magic bullet other than decent monitors, your ears, and sensible advice. Do you think you have a blind spot with the vocal e.q.? I only ask because everything else sounds well-judged.

My ears or too god damned old I think...part of the reason I over brighten. I think I might need to EQ my monitors to be more bright so I'm pulling back the highs a bit more.

By the way, a pro guy I know works with 150+ tracks, whereas my most "bloated" mix only had just over 30. The more tracks you have the harder it is to balance them.

Yeah....That's actually nice to here. I not sure what's reasonable. Sometimes I hear some really think guitar that I have no idea how it's achieved but I'm thinking it might just be a lot of tracks really accurately put down or very properly quantized....like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX8fZpjrFX4

How the hell do they get that thick sound?

My ears or too god damned old I think...part of the reason I over brighten. I think I might need to EQ my monitors to be more bright so I'm pulling back the highs a bit more.

Well I'm 52 and have a life of loud music behind me. I know for a fact that my high frequencies shelve off fairly abruptly after around 14.5 kHz. The brain's computing does "manufacture" missing frequencies based upon what it actually hears, though. That said, your vocals are too bright. :D

Well I'm 52 and have a life of loud music behind me. I know for a fact that my high frequencies shelve off fairly abruptly after around 14.5 kHz. The brain's computing does "manufacture" missing frequencies based upon what it actually hears, though. That said, your vocals are too bright. :D

Do you think they're all too bright or just the main voice in the soft part of the chorus. Those are EQed brighter. Your ears have two years on mine. I've had tinnitis since I was about 18. Alt rock in the early 80s with no ear plugs.

Do you think they're all too bright or just the main voice in the soft part of the chorus. Those are EQed brighter. Your ears have two years on mine. I've had tinnitis since I was about 18. Alt rock in the early 80s with no ear plugs.

The main voice. It's just a little too crisp and brittle-sounding. You don't need to obsess over it, because it's not destroying the mix, but it definitely needs to lose some frequencies between 2 - 8 kHz.

Yeah, that vocal is too brittle up high--noticeable rattling sibilance. I have tinnitus too, but that vocal anomaly is coming through loud and clear. The ringing (tinnitus) isn't necessarily going to hinder your perception, but rather the loss of high-frequency sensitivity that accompanies the tinnitus. Also, the vocal seems too low most of the time in the mix, in my opinion. It's not wrecking the mix, as Bubba Po said, but you can probably fix it fairly easily. What processing is on that vocal?

Yeah, that vocal is too brittle up high--noticeable rattling sibilance. I have tinnitus too, but that vocal anomaly is coming through loud and clear. The ringing (tinnitus) isn't necessarily going to hinder your perception, but rather the loss of high-frequency sensitivity that accompanies the tinnitus. Also, the vocal seems too low most of the time in the mix, in my opinion. It's not wrecking the mix, as Bubba Po said, but you can probably fix it fairly easily. What processing is on that vocal?

Hey Tim...thanks. The voice in the verse could go louder or in general? I worry about putting too much in and taking some of the edge off the instruments. My intension is big and dark. It's funny though, when I take everything out but the voice at the end of song, it's like this really lovely sounding choir.

I'm working on those frequencies now!

Yes, I mean that the voice seemed to be too low in the mix. I just listened to the new mix, and it's definitely better insofar as the level of the vocals--you're not taking any edge off the instruments. The voice meshes better with the vocals up. Still wondering: what kind of processing is on the vocals? Are you compressing them?

Back