First multi track ever :) seeking any 'mastering' guidance

Well it sounds like a mic placed somewhere out in front of the PA speakers. If that's the way you want it to sound then fine.
If you want a more direct and less coloured/phasy sound, record straight from the mics then add fx to taste later.

Tim

thanks,

yes im limited to 4 inputs/mics simultaneously, i opted for DI on the bass and 3 mics in the room, perhaps next time ill DI vocals and bass?

but there is 2 singers, that would leave 1 mic for drums and 2 guitars.

experimentation and mic placement is key with my limited resource.

Well it sounds like a mic placed somewhere out in front of the PA speakers. If that's the way you want it to sound then fine.
If you want a more direct and less coloured/phasy sound, record straight from the mics then add fx to taste later.

Tim

I'd suggest breaking down the recording and not doing it live, or do the instruments live and then record the vocals later. This will open up some options for you and give you more control over the mix.

I agree with xbxrxixtx. Do the instruments first, and then do your vocals. It gives you SO MUCH more control over your mix.

60ndown--for the record--this is a discussion about mixing, not mastering. Understanding the difference will help you direct your inquiries and receive more germane responses.

I agree record one thing at a time and bounce if need be, this just sounds like a mic in the middle of a jam session, very muddy.

hey 60ndown, I love a good live recording too. One thing that is common with a live album, is that it is usually supplemental to a few studio albums. I learned a lot about the recording principles from instructional dvds. Now they are all online of course. Macprovideo has a great library on the subject. you can learn a little just from their free vids. A bit of study will go a long way!

Never been a fan of the live thing, for reasons already stated by Pahtcub (who bears a shocking resemblance to a certain wrestler, hell yeah)...it is always better to record each instrument seperately, and if your Fostex is digital u shouldnt lose any quality by bouncing...but if it doesnt have an undo button on it u should probably only bounce two instruments per track and use ALL your mics to record the drums, then bounce the drums to one track.

Back