First mp3 post - minimal pop song, feedback please..

mrclay

Hi, this is the 1st mp3 I've posted and I'm not telling my bandmates about it!! I know I've got some problems with the mix - the drums and background keyboard were recorded simultaneously to 2 track on a bad laptop soundcard and the rest was built from there, cheap instruments, heavy mono spring reverb from an tube amp combined with digital stereo reverb on vocals, a big bass goof that'll be redone this weekend. But basically I'm worried about certain frequencies or instruments out of control rather than a realistic sound stage, which I know I'm not gonna get..

Any advice/feedback welcome..

way cool!!the sound is certainly unique and original.

as far as constructive criticism,it's hard cause i am not sure what you are going for,but i would ease up on the reverb on the vocals,and then really e.q. them. although i have been reading a lot of threads regarding mixing and i am still digesting all the stuff.from my experience it seems that when you're working with vocals that sound like that,they tend to really come out in the mix when you play with the midrange.did you track the vox clean or with that spring reverb?if you tracked it nice and clean you can get in there and fine tune it,because i think the vocals need to come out more,not necessarily louder but more up front,ya know?the drums sound great and lotsa cool fx and noises are appropriate and well used.

it's a wonderful sound,and the length and ending are both perfect!!good work!!

Sweeeeet

holy voice Batman!!

That is one good song... If I had it my way, I'd "industrialize" the drums with some distortion and such, then maybe add some FX to the vocals... maybe some backing vocals here and there....

It's a kickass song anyhow. I love her way of singing "go away".. mmmmmmmmmmmm :)

/me puts it on for the 4th time

*edit*

gaaaaaaaah!!!! I can't stop listening to it!!!

That was a great song, great sound, really close to finished sounding!
don't do anything but fix the bass problem, and maybe turn the vocals up a little, sweet voices should be catered to.

previous recordings

Thanks for all the input. To get an idea of what I'm going for, we have an mp3.com page up that has some of our previous songs. "Falling Backwards" is the only other one I recorded (drums and bass to cassette 4-trk, mixed to two tracks and finished in Cooledit w/ no reverb I think). The rest done on a more proper system by a friend of mine w/ a Layla, outboard mixers and gear and better mics.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/28/brittle_stars.html

Here's my lo-fi 4-track days:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/62/mrclay.html

I wish I could still find the master tapes to some of these..

new fan

Man, you have a new fan... I love it, and I'm supposed to be a heavy metal dude.. ;-P

Tell that girl her voice is lovely...

hey!!

Mrclay. plz put someplace up somewhere again... I lost it, and I listen to Brittle stars every damn day now....

"someplace" url broken...page unavailable etc....

Downloaded "Falling Backwards"....wonderful song, sweet vocal, bass could come up and song could be longer....

Downloaded "Runaway"...silly-ass song that still got me kinda movin' around, even if it was a sorta Beavis and Butthead choreography...dug the bass on this one, vocal could come up...

unusual stuff, and that's a good thing......gibs

Sorry Meshuggah, changed the filename:

Thanks for the suggestions. "Falling Backwards" was started with drums and bass live to 4-track, mixed to stereo into my computer, and the rest overdubs done in Cooledit. Totally should've just done the bass as an overdub or at least mixed it a bit higher into the PC, but oh well.

Back