First Mix

Mchu86

Well, I am certainly new to recording so here goes...:o

The song: "Blackbird" by The Beatles

Nothing special to it, just quite simply..."Blackbird" played and sung by me (and I tried my best not to ruin this song, so go easy on me :))

Anyways, the link to the .mp3:

Any advice, comments, critiques to help improve the mix, recording, etc would be welcomed. I would call this my "final mix"...

Oh, and what I used (let the hate begin...:p)
MXL 990/991 > M-Audio Buddy > Boss BR-600 > exported to Reaper

The process:
Guitar was mic'ed using both the 991 at the 12th fret, pointing very slightly towards the soundhole, and the 990 near the tail of the body pointing towards the bridge. Both mics were approx. 12cm from the body.

Vocals were recorded with the 990 approx. 10cm behind a pop shield, and I was right in front of the shield.

Cheers,
Michael

Sounds very good!

Maybe a little boomy on the computer speakers, maybe pull just a smidge off around 150-200hz, but maybe let someone on better speakers judge

Good job

Thank you for your kind words :)

Perhaps I chose the wrong word. This isn't my VERY first mix, but rather the best of many, many attempts at arriving here. So this is the "first mix" in which I believe I made it as good as I can by myself. So now, I turn to the community for opinions and critique :)

I would listen to other members' mixes/my favourite artists' works to hear what type of sound I am trying to achieve. Then I play around with my mixes to try to get that type of sound. And I think this is the closest I can get without actual help from the community (other than looking through the thousands of threads I already have :p)

Cheers,
Michael

P.S. I will play with the EQ a little to reduce the boominess. Thank you!

Sounds nice man. Great clarity and a pretty full sound for just the voice and guitar. I guess if you could brighten the guitar any without also bringing up the finger sliding squeaks that might fit a little better to my ears, but I don't know, it really sounds pretty fine as is. Nice job :).

Nice, and a pretty difficult one to play too.
Recording sounds good to me, maybe brighten up the acoustic a little.
NIce work!

Joey :):):):)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words :)

I'll definitely go back and try to bring some more brightness into the guitar and see what I can come up with.

I'll post an updated version soon.

Thanks again!

Michael

Back