First mix with my new monitors. What do you think??

imacgreg

Hey all,
I just got a pair of Paradigm mini monitors to use as my nearfields and this mix was done on them using N-track. The band is a local group called Five Minute Ride and they are my first real paying gig, although really cheap (I'm still learning). Anyway, I know the lead vox are off in a couple places as well as guitars, but what I'm concerned about is the general balance on the different sort of systems you guys have. Is the 'verb on drums and vocals too much? How does the kick sound in relation to the rest of the mix? For some reason I sometimes mix the drums a little hot or wet. What do you think? Anyway, I appreciate you guys and gals checking it out, thanks,

Ian

Heres the link:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1787&alid=-1

Oh yeah, the song is "thrid person"
thanks!!

I want very much to listen to this, because what I can hear sounds very cool...but the level is sooooo low, I'm seriously having trouble making it out.

level is WAY low on my end. Can you bump it up and repost it? I promise I'll listen lots.

Thanks,
Chris

Cool song, a lot of reverb, at least for this music. The reverb on the drums is cool, cymbals maybe to loud, but I definitely want those distorted guitars to really hit me. Maybe there's no reverb on them but when theres a lot of reverb on anythign it just sounds to me like its on everything. I think we all went through the reverb is cool stage, lol, I used to put songs underwater. I realized all I need now is reverb on the snare and maybe vocals, sometimes sparingly elsewhere. But I hate to tell you not to use reverb because I like the really bigish type sound for this song, so in conclusion, less reverb on vocals and guitars, maybe a little less on drums.

Or maybe you could get the big sound by dubbing some guitars, just a little somethign to think about!

Eric

This track sounds good. You have captured the feel of the group quite well I think. Although I do agree with the above comments, particularly relating to verb - a disease for which I am still researching a cure...........

I couldn't get over how much this guy's voice sounds like Adam Duritz from the Counting Crows.....(which may also explain why I thought the vocal might have been a little too loud.)

Good work and good luck with the business!

Q.

"Levels"

...or how I learned to stop worrying and love 0 db

First of all... there's a nice, ghosty echo sound in there... the track builds very sweetly with those drums... kind of like a moody Smashing Pumpkins track. The guy's voice reminds me of Silverchair or (gulp) one of our own... TUKKIS! (F*CK Tukkis ;) :D) Yup, if you said this was "Tukkis" on vox, I'd believe you. Well, the guy sounds like a young Aussie anyway...

:cool: LEVELS: :cool:

To get better levels on your track, you do not have to normalize it. You do not have to compress the stereo pair. You don't have to limit it. You don't have to put a hex on it... you have to mix it louder.

As taken from many great posters like littledog and others before, set all faders to quiet (the bottom) and put the master pair at 0 dbFS (decibels FULL SCALE digital).

Bring up the drums (in balance), then the bass guitar. Try to keep the peak level anywhere from -6 to -3db, if possible. This gives you almost 6db of headroom on top of your drums and bass for guitars, synths and vocals. Bring up these other tracks and mix to taste...

If your mix clips (goes over zero dbFS), you can lower the fader on the peaks of each of these tracks, use compression on any overly dynamic track (guitars, vocals, etc), or you can lower your drums and bass mix then start over.

How do you know if your mix is clipping? Most mixers and DAW programs have little indicators, such as red lights or meters that tell you when the mix has broken the "sound" barrier :) (actually, the 0db barrier... nothing can go beyond 0dbFS digital... it's like a brick wall)

Do this separately on each different part of your track, e.g. the intro, the chorus, the verse, the next chorus, the next verse... etc... in this way you build your mix, and you will get the levels you need. With practice, you may never need to "normalize" or "limit" your tracks again.

If you'd like a more "dynamic" (loud to soft) track, try more than 6db headroom above the bass and drum mix.

This is just a starting point; it's not gospel. It's certainly no indication of my expertise -- just a simple collection of information, most of which came from this very bbs.

If anyone with more correct/better info can chime in to help, please do so and tell me I'm completely wrong :)

Good luck there, I-Mac Greg ;)

PowerMac G4 Chad :D

Ok, seems like everyone thought the level was a bit low. I guess I could have mixed it a bit louder, and the tip that chad gave was very good about setting the levels when mixing. I did what you said on this track, although I was a bit more conservative. Therefore, it was kinda quiet. I'll try to bring it upa a bit and repost here soon. It's good to see that you guys thought that the 'verb was a little much, cause I was kinda thinking the same thing (but on my monitors it sounded sooo cool...)

Anyway, I am going to do a little remix that's louder and a little drier. Maybe even beef those guitars up if I can. Any suggestions for making the guitars hit harder, but not take up all my sonic space?

Thanks for the critique, I really appreciate it,
Ian

Re: "Levels"

participant said:
...If anyone with more correct/better info can chime in to help, please do so and tell me I'm completely wrong :)
Chad - you couldn't mix a rum & coke with a bartender and a 5 star chef.

Everybody knows that you're supposed to record everything at like, I dunno', a conservative +15db, to get that "crisp" sound that I'm becoming famous for.

okay, okay...I was writing to say, "GOOD POST,"... you're good...the end.

(and thanks)

It's got a cool sound to it. I was expecting to say turn down the reverb but it's actually not too bad for the verse. If you back it off a bit for the chorus it should help bring that part up. The high hat may be a little distracting during the verse but that is a judgement call. I couldn't really hear the bass guitar and the kick could use a little more oomph. Pretty cool overall.

Ok,
I reposted the track. I've normalized it so it's a little louder, removed some 'verb, punched up the kick a little, and did a little de-essing. Oh yeah, I changed the snare sound a little, I think it is a little less polite. What do you think, good for the track or no??

If you still want to listen, just hit the same link as above in my first post. Thanks lot, your comments have been very good,

Ian

I like it. The 'verb didn't bother me at all. have you already changed it?
A nice song and cool drums. Good vocal too.

EDIT: Of course as soon as I posted that I saw that you had, in fact, changed it.

Ok,
This time I really changed it. I've toned down on pretty much all the 'verb except snare and toms, as well as some diffused delay on the guitars to thicken them up. I took the vocals out, makes it a little easier to critique the rest of the mix, I'll drop the vocals on top later.

So, another round of constructive criticism?? All thoughts and comments welcome.

Here's the link:
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1787&alid=-1

Ian

Back