First mix with metal. Vespers - As Close As Hell

The mix sounds good to me. I was only able to listen to about 40 seconds because I can't listen to Cookie Monster vocals without laughing my ass off. No offense, it's just not my thing.

But it was a big, beefy sound. Guitars sound good. Drums sound great for this genre. In fact, I'd even say that the overall mix was more pleasing to listen to than most of this kind of stuff that I've heard. The kik drum had a nice click, but it also had some low end to it, which is often lacking on metal drums.

Sounds good to me.

The mix sounds good to me. I was only able to listen to about 40 seconds because I can't listen to Cookie Monster vocals without laughing my ass off. No offense, it's just not my thing.

But it was a big, beefy sound. Guitars sound good. Drums sound great for this genre. In fact, I'd even say that the overall mix was more pleasing to listen to than most of this kind of stuff that I've heard. The kik drum had a nice click, but it also had some low end to it, which is often lacking on metal drums.

Sounds good to me.

WOW! I really appreciate it....that makes me feel MUCH better. Especially coming from a veteran. :D
I like some metal but not all, there's only so much I can take before I want to cut my ears off, but for some reason people flock to it. Not my band so no offense taken. Thanks again RAMI!

Seems like a decent mix. There's not a lot of definition to the bass guitar, and the vox get a little buried occasionally, but the drums and guitars do sound good.

Seems like a decent mix. There's not a lot of definition to the bass guitar, and the vox get a little buried occasionally, but the drums and guitars do sound good.

define definition lol.
the bass was a little tricky...the player has only been playing for 6 months...the bass dynamics where all over the place, one pick would be louder than others and just was not a great performance. BUT again he's been playing for 6 months. So i tended to compress the bass and keep it compressed to kind of level out the dynamics a bit and made it more to just back up the guitars.

I'll go back and try some automation on the vocals to uncover them a bit.

Thanks for the ear!

Unlike Rami, I enjoy a bit of metal - you just have to ignore the vocals as much as you can! I thought this was pretty good (not quite my favourite sort of metal). Might be just my headphones, but I thought the rhythm guitars lacked clarity - maybe a bit muddy - not sure if that's the sound you wanted. The bass isn't really distinct - there's some low end rumble, but I can't really pick it out. Maybe this is all part of the rumbly sound you were trying for though. Anyway, it's a decent mix to my ears.

Back