first mix with equator q10s

Nathan1984

I'm trying to get a feel for these new monitors so here is a mix of some stems I reamped. Mixed down on my new Equator q10s.

Drums sound VERY right channel heavy/originating. The snare seems to actually be hard panned right. Center that shit. :p Might want to get the pan positions of the toms worked out too. The high tom isn't far enough left and the other tom(s) too far right. Mix as if sitting at the drum kit.

Vocals are dead center, nothing wrong with that but they jump out in the wrong way instead of meshing with the instrumentation. Might also be a few db too loud. Some faux stereo panning, mild chorus, or other techniques would help it sit better.

cool song, great playing. I also think that flappy kick needs to come up some. It has no low end, understandable for the type of music, but it needs to drive the song a little more.

Ok, so I found the reason for the drums sounding right sided, I didn't notice it until you guys pointed it out. It was that I had certain elements of my SD2.0 routed to stereo outputs instead of mono, causing things like the snare to sound panned. That was a useful thing to learn, because I use to route everything in mono, including the overheads which made them sound narrow. I made the mistake of high passing bass and kick drum, don't really need to do that with this song. I learned a few new things about my rig here recently, I will give this mix another go soon.

The snare is hard panned to the right. That's a bit odd.
Sound proper fake as well but this is the blackest pot calling out the kettle here...

The guitar sounds sound about right for the style. Could use some more chug overall.
I liked that you HPF the vocals. They could be a db or two quieter. I find that most growling vocals are usually buried in the mixes of heavy metal styles. The clean vocal could come up one db.

Back