first mix, need some pointers

It only let me hear a bit. From what I heard it sounds good. The only thing I would say is there's too much low low's in the bass and too little mid's. Removing the low lows might bring the mids out.. That's just my take. The guitar and the vocals sound very good. It's hard to tell how it will all set until the drums come in (if they do). The server wouldn't let me get that far.

Good Luck

F.S.

I like it. I think the vocals need to be overdubbed and then it would be almost perfect. I play the drums and I would be going crazy and you just have the clicking. lol such a tease.

drums would make this song a lot better.

also the vocals are high in the mix. they need to be at a volume where you can hear it but not over everything. MIX it into the instruments right now its just standing out.

dave

hey, thanks for the advice guys, just what i was looking for. Is everybody having trouble listing to the file? damn, i need to find a decent place to upload stuff.

yeah there are drums, and they rock, we have an amazing drummer. I have never really recorded drums before so i was putting it off. i'm looking forward to it though.

minofifa said:
yeah there are drums, and they rock, we have an amazing drummer. I have never really recorded drums before so i was putting it off. i'm looking forward to it though.

A guy that has never recorded drums before would say that exact thing :D
Just joking :) There are guys on here that can make drums sound awsome. I'm not one of them yet. I am a firm believer though that it all is dependent on the source. You can't make drums sound much better than they sound. If you drummer has a killer sounding kit you will have a better time of it than I do. Not to say our drummer isn't great, he just has a pretty dated kit and I need a d112;) I will have to talk the wife into that.

By the way, on the bass sound (and this is coming from bass player) don't let the bass player set the sound. It took me years to get over what I liked to hear playing by my self compared to what works on stage or in a recording. Same goes for guitar sometimes too. Just remember everything must have it's place, and that means things sometimes have to sound thinner than the player likes but, when you put it all together it sounds thick. You can also hear what people are playing then. Two things can not fully occupy the same space.

I'm babling.

Later

F.S.

Yeah thickened vocals would help out.
The change is pretty abrupt in & out. You could throw a cymbal over it or a gliss or something.
That Freud's Undergarment said about the bass is spot on.
The guitars in the last section, Hmm, need more sep from each other in the mix & one needs more mids can't tell though.
Pretty flash work though.
Bummer re drummer.

haha i'm the bass player. But in my defence, i'm a noob at it. What do you guys mean exactly about the bass tone? is it too clean / too dirty? or are you referring more to the eq of it, and the prominant frequencies of it? perhaps i should do some reading on what / how the bass the should be recorded. I do like the tone when we play live, but recording bass is definately new to me. Thanks again for all of the pointers. i plan to use all of them in the next mix version.

minofifa said:
haha i'm the bass player. But in my defence, i'm a noob at it. What do you guys mean exactly about the bass tone? is it too clean / too dirty? or are you referring more to the eq of it, and the prominant frequencies of it? perhaps i should do some reading on what / how the bass the should be recorded. I do like the tone when we play live, but recording bass is definately new to me. Thanks again for all of the pointers. i plan to use all of them in the next mix version.

Don't worry:D My bass sounded the same as your's for a long time:)

What I mean is that it's all rumble. There is not enough "boing" and too much low low end. New bass players always want to "feel the bass". Well what happens is they set up their stuff to where when playing with a band or on a recording all you can do is feel the bass and not so much hear it. Get some more tone in that bad boy and your playing will improve. Not that your bad. You will be able too tell what your doing better. It will frustrate you at first but, you'll be a better player. And when you hear all the buzzing and clicking just remember. Next to the whole mix it will tend to disapear.

Now on a bass, strings are everything. If you have cheap or old strings that are dead you will have a hard time getting tone (mid range and treble) out of the guitar. Even with a great amp. If you are recording and your strings are more than a couple a months old put some new strings on. I use DR because they seem to last longer than other brands. I like to have them on for a couple days before I record. That's when they are at their best.

Mmmmmm love new strings.... Damn it! Now I have to go buy new strings!

I should add Your bass tone live may be great and this could all be in your recording technique? But I've been there so I'm guessing you love the powerfull feel of low end. :D :D :D

I'm rambling :confused:

Hope that helps.

F.S.

Last edited:
I dig the song, the style. Production-wise doesn't sound very expansive, a little constricted in depth. Great emotion though.

The guitars and vocals are a bit out front to me in places but, this gives much better Idea of what you have going on. The bass sounds better on this. You need to work on gelling the mix together a bit. The Drums sound like they are at a good starting point. The whole thing sounds like a mix that could be worked with. this sounds like a raw recording that has has not much done to it except maybe volume adjustments. It sounds like you have channels dropping in and out though . Between the two guitar tracks you could probably take care of that with some editing. Never know till you get there. This raw recording shows much more potential than what you put up before.

I would love to hear this with a med room reverb thrown on the whole mix to tie it all together a little bit. Just a nice mellow verb.

This opens my eyes to your thang.

F.S.

Great stuff! Vocals and Main guitar upfront and clear, good highs, background(?) arpeggiating guitar in last third part could come out front more. Gotta have more of that great Bass line! (cant tell I'm a Bassist?)
Mike

Back