First Mix in the New Studio

B.SABBATH said:
yeah this recording doesn't sound too good to me.. if I paid for it I would be real pissed.. and, you can't just blame it on the snare..

Yeah but the band was right there and I was following their directions for setting levels.

However, we are remixing because I finally convinced them it was bad. I also showed them this thread for more opinions.

Clonegirls mixes are pretty terrible when you consider the amount of 'advice' he puts into almost EVERY THEAD. Makes you wonder if he knows anything or if he is just an asstalker (hint: its the last one)

Reactions: NL5
The Seifer said:
Clonegirls mixes are pretty terrible when you consider the amount of 'advice' he puts into almost EVERY THEAD. Makes you wonder if he knows anything or if he is just an asstalker (hint: its the last one)

I got this Cloneboy, FUCK OFF SIEFER!!!!

The Seifer said:
Hey fuckers, it's true. Clonegirl has the nerve to rip on everybody - even me and my masterful recordings - when he can't even pull together a mediocre mix himself. The fact that he has invested money in some nice gear makes it more sad. I've made better mixes with an sm57 and an audiobuddy.

However, if you ever spent 5 seconds in the real world of recording you'd realize that you are often recording mediocre musicians in extremely tight schedules.

I'm sorry, but if the band only PAYS for 4 hours of mixing that's all they are going to get. You can be a nice guy and let them have a few hours free if the session is big, but you gotta watch that because people will take advantage.

The band in the above song wanted to be cheap and only allocated 3 hours to edit, mix and master five songs (about 24 minutes of audio). I wasn't happy with their decisions for the mix. I told them to take it home and listen to it and I'll get some input online to see if maybe we need to spend some more time mixing it.

It took them only a few listens at home to realize the mix sucked. There were a few factors that contributed to it--including their input--but also the fact that I'm not used to the sound of that studio's control room. IMHO the room has some major bass suppression problems and I'm trying to get the owner to address them.

Here's a link to a mix of my music for you. The vocals and real guitar are getting cut for it next week, so this is only the music.

By the way, thanks for writing the song about me in the other thread. Too bad you lack the balls to own up to it under your real handle. :rolleyes:

One last thing--I've forgotten more about recording than you'll ever know. When you put up some of your professional (i.e. you got paid by someone else to engineer it) work maybe you'll have a leg to stand on, but as it is now you are three legs shy of an argument.

Expect the new mixes by the end of the weekend. I'm doing them tomorrow but have more sessions booked for the weekend and may not feel like posting them until I get more time.

Unlike The Seether I get paid to do this.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Here's a link to a mix of my music for you. The vocals and real guitar are getting cut for it next week, so this is only the music.

By the way, thanks for writing the song about me in the other thread. Too bad you lack the balls to own up to it under your real handle. :rolleyes:

good job tracking all those fake synth instruments

fucking dumbass

I would comment on the generic song or terrible drum programming, but I totally burned you with my first line so I'll leave it alone.

The Seifer said:
good job tracking all those fake synth instruments

If you had one iota of a clue you'd realize that the synth was a vintage Prophet 5 analog... very not fake, the bass line was a real bass, and the drum machine was a vintage R8.

Of course, you are going to be tracking REAL drums and guitar right? Not going to use that Drumkit From Hell like you always do? Not using some direct guitar device eh? Still got the T-Racks and Sonar, or did you move up to something real?

Good luck recording something of your own to call someone else's in an attempt to make us think you have clients and get any money. Don't forget the autotune on the vocals.

Last edited:
The Seifer said:
I'm producing a band next week. LET'S BATTLE

Really?

By the end of next week I would have produced three bands. Must be nice not to be busy with work so you can take your sweet time with your awesome Studio Projects mics around their drum kit in your closet and get killer sounds. :)

I'll take you up on this offer. Just to be fair I'll even pick which one of the three I'll use... since you are only recording one measly band like most wannabe's that think they know something. I'll be bringing a local emo band named Ioni Sky that booked 35 hours starting Sunday.

Good luck noob. :D

vintage this, vintage that - it still all sounds like shit.

plus, you totally missed my point. I do still have T-Racks and Sonar, and I will probably replace quite a few drum hits with Drumkit From Hell. I fucking fooled everybody last time I did this, and if someone comes in here and changes their review of my last one they are lying.

the point is that I will use my T-Racks, Sonar, Drumagog, Drumkit from Hell, my Studio Projects, my SM57, and my audiobuddies, and it will still sound better than whatever pretentious overblown bullshit you can come up with. we're relying on skill level now, and your high priced studio advantage just makes it more sad when you lose.

OK, I got my ticket and my popcorn and I am comfortable in the front row.

Just don't spill any blood on me when the fight starts, OK?

The Seifer said:
and it will still sound better than whatever pretentious overblown bullshit you can come up with

You can't bring your own music. You have to bring someone else's. That is, if you've even worked on anyone else's.

:)

And you can sample/replace all the drums you want... it certainly helps out when you don't know how to mic a kit.

I'm producing a guy name SAM

it will be his songs, amps, guitars, drums, whatever mic and preamps he brings (I told him to)

I do however get to edit his drum tracks AND use drumagog, because this type of drum editing is used by "real" producers and engineers frequently. I also get to mix his guitar signal with a DI one, because he said he has a CARVIN amp (gross). Yet another common technique.

The Seifer said:
I do however get to edit his drum tracks AND use drumagog, because this type of drum editing is used by "real" producers and engineers frequently. I also get to mix his guitar signal with a DI one, because he said he has a CARVIN amp (gross). Yet another common technique.

Is this the part where the horse eats the guitar amp and dunks it in hydrochloric acid? Because this is sounding a lot like an excuse....

Myself, I'm coming sample and direct signal free. You can use those if you want, because they sound like crap anyways... unless fake sounding drums and scratchy guitars are your thing.

Already this is your second mistake. Your first was judging my abilies based on admittedly crummy mixes from crummy local bands that were on small budget sessions, and stuff I did 3-4 years ago in a basement. As some of my clients are signed artists on small record labels I can't exactly link to their work online and expect to keep those contracts.

Oh, you may want to check out this thread, which details the challenge as well as outlines rules. The rules are fair, but you may append them if you feel the standards are a little too out of your league.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=147706

Rokket said:
OK, I got my ticket and my popcorn and I am comfortable in the front row.

Just don't spill any blood on me when the fight starts, OK?
Is anyone sat here? Have you got enough elbow room?

Back