First mix in new studio layout

HangDawg

bUnGhOlIo
Well I did some de-construction and made 2 rooms into 1. The previous control room was too small to mix in. I had piles of OC703 bass traps and broadband absorbtion but alas, it just sucked. So here is the first completed mix with psuedo mastering (basically squashing to death). You've heard these before I'm sure but have a quick listen and tell me what ya think. I'm pretty please with the results.

Yeah, the playing and singing was well good enough, not a bad song either.

The mix... Only thing with punch was the kick. the bass and even more the guitars had been cut completely out of "body"...bass, or "punch".
It's late though, and I'm listening with some Sony headphones...:o
But usually these rattle in my head when turned to full, now the highs of distortion just ripped my ears. Some low mids would do good IMO.:o
Loud enough, no question.

I Like the raw vocals, and the kick-sound.

Good bit of thrasy metal. Intro reminds me of Slayer, vocals range from Metalica impersonation to hardcore shoutyness!

I wasn't sure about the kick early on, theres noticable reverb on it, and I'm not a fan of that, but you've certainly got it sounding really great when it all kicks off.

My only real crit would be the guitar tone, a little more body and less fizz would suit this style, and the bass guitar is fighting a losing battle with almost everything.

Otherwise, a good metal production, sweet! :cool:

Jim

Good bit of thrasy metal. Intro reminds me of Slayer, vocals range from Metalica impersonation to hardcore shoutyness!

I wasn't sure about the kick early on, theres noticable reverb on it, and I'm not a fan of that, but you've certainly got it sounding really great when it all kicks off.

My only real crit would be the guitar tone, a little more body and less fizz would suit this style, and the bass guitar is fighting a losing battle with almost everything.

Otherwise, a good metal production, sweet! :cool:

Jim

Thanks for the listen.

The reverb on the kick is only in the very beginning and gets turned off when the songs kicks in. It just sounded strange dry all by itself.

There's a thread in the recording techniques section about low mids in distorted guitars. Ecktronic thinks this is muddy but everyone in here says too much sizzle. I think too much sizzle to be honest. The bass guitar, well there's nothing more I can do. I happy it came out as good as it did.:(

Back