First mix in Cubase

apush

I have been a PT user for years and recently bought a Cubase rig (3 months ago). After endless fiddling, I think I have gotten the hang of the interface....I think. haha. I was unsure as to whether this should be posted here or in the MP3 forum, so here it is.

I'd like advice/tips from more advanced users on what I can do to make this better. I really hate sucking at this. Thanks, fellas.

sounds pretty good, though I think maybe you could bring out the guitar a tad bit, and maybe cut back on the special effects because it sounds just a little muddy, but not too much. Much better than I've ever done that's for sure haha.

But cut back on the effects a bit so that it adds more of a ambient sound to the song. Good mix though.

Welcome to the world of Cubase :)

Ya, this is best posted in the mp3 clinic. You'll get more reviews there, especially if you also critique some of the tunes there.

It sounds like you may have a gain staging problem somewhere in your soundchain. It would help alot if you detailed how you tracked and mixed this to give a basis for telling you what to change.

sounds pretty good, though I think maybe you could bring out the guitar a tad bit, and maybe cut back on the special effects because it sounds just a little muddy, but not too much. Much better than I've ever done that's for sure haha.

But cut back on the effects a bit so that it adds more of a ambient sound to the song. Good mix though.

I'd say 90% of the effects were tracked like that. The guitarist plays very reverb heavy live. I'll see if, maybe, I can drag him in to retrack.

Thanks!

Welcome to the world of Cubase :)

Ya, this is best posted in the mp3 clinic. You'll get more reviews there, especially if you also critique some of the tunes there.

It sounds like you may have a gain staging problem somewhere in your soundchain. It would help alot if you detailed how you tracked and mixed this to give a basis for telling you what to change.

I'll move it. thanks.

What do you mean by gain staging? Mix levels? Is there distortion? I'll post details in the MP3 clinic. thanks

I'll move it. thanks.

What do you mean by gain staging? Mix levels? Is there distortion? I'll post details in the MP3 clinic. thanks
In the beginning the guitar seems buried behind the bass,drums and effects. I think I mistook that as a volume problem. Now, if I play it over and listen for the guitar, the mix seems to clear up.

The mix balances out good in the middle and the vocals are just awesome.

I have been a PT user for years and recently bought a Cubase rig (3 months ago). After endless fiddling, I think I have gotten the hang of the interface....I think. haha. I was unsure as to whether this should be posted here or in the MP3 forum, so here it is.

I'd like advice/tips from more advanced users on what I can do to make this better. I really hate sucking at this. Thanks, fellas.

I used to use PT but since using Cubase it is a lot more user friendly I find.
The shortcuts are better I also find.

Here's a link I found to some shorts. http://www.keyxl.com/aaa43ac/400/Steinberg-Cubase-Studio-4-keyboard-shortcuts.htm

PT has like 3 ways of doing 1 function, which I suppose isn't a bad thing but Cubase seems a lot faster for me to use.

On your Mix, the recordings are nicely executed as are the playing skills (tightness etc.). The overall Mix has potential to be a great Mix.
Just needs some fine adjustments like volume automation at places.
Maybe some low end compression on certain tracks could help.

I'm thinking you maybe used some drum replacement?

I hope you don't take any offense to my words. :|

Nice work,
Eck (G)

I like this style. Think I'll nab this for long drives in the car.

I like the low down wah gat in the intro yet I would like to hear that once again a little later later in the song.

Right at 2:33 to 2:52 sounds just Simon le Bon.

In the beginning the guitar seems buried behind the bass,drums and effects. I think I mistook that as a volume problem. Now, if I play it over and listen for the guitar, the mix seems to clear up.

The mix balances out good in the middle and the vocals are just awesome.

The vocals were tracked first with a scratch track that was later deleted, so the mix where there is vocals is probably a little more focused I think. I haven't tried to use automation in Cubase yet and I think that can really help with levels. Thanks about the vocals!

I used to use PT but since using Cubase it is a lot more user friendly I find.
The shortcuts are better I also find.

Here's a link I found to some shorts. http://www.keyxl.com/aaa43ac/400/Steinberg-Cubase-Studio-4-keyboard-shortcuts.htm

PT has like 3 ways of doing 1 function, which I suppose isn't a bad thing but Cubase seems a lot faster for me to use.
command and print. I needed that link bad. you have no idea. thanks.

On your Mix, the recordings are nicely executed as are the playing skills (tightness etc.). The overall Mix has potential to be a great Mix.
Just needs some fine adjustments like volume automation at places.
Maybe some low end compression on certain tracks could help.

I'm thinking you maybe used some drum replacement?

I hope you don't take any offense to my words. :|

Nice work,
Eck (G)

No offense at all. I appreciate the help. No drum replacement though. Drums were tracked using three mics: Cheapy AKG-550 on kick; Radioshack snare mic and an AT 3035 overhead. My drummer is pretty solid and the only fixes I needed were EQ and compression. Esp the Bass drum. This was a quick recording and he used my old Mapex kit. The BD head is completely split and covered in duct tape.

How would I do compression on just the low end? Is there a plug-in?

I like this style. Think I'll nab this for long drives in the car.

I like the low down wah gat in the intro yet I would like to hear that once again a little later later in the song.

Right at 2:33 to 2:52 sounds just Simon le Bon.

Thanks for the compliments.
The guitar part on the into was just to fill up space. I'm still waiting for the keyboardist to come in and track his parts.

Simon le Bon, huh? Nice! I do listen to a lot of 80's music. Mostly Tears for Fears but I'll take Duran Duran. :)

The vocals were tracked first with a scratch track that was later deleted, so the mix where there is vocals is probably a little more focused I think. I haven't tried to use automation in Cubase yet and I think that can really help with levels. Thanks about the vocals!

command and print. I needed that link bad. you have no idea. thanks.

No offense at all. I appreciate the help. No drum replacement though. Drums were tracked using three mics: Cheapy AKG-550 on kick; Radioshack snare mic and an AT 3035 overhead. My drummer is pretty solid and the only fixes I needed were EQ and compression. Esp the Bass drum. This was a quick recording and he used my old Mapex kit. The BD head is completely split and covered in duct tape.

How would I do compression on just the low end? Is there a plug-in?
Nicely done on the drums.
A solid drummer, nice kit and properly tuned kit and you can't really go wrong. :)
For low end tightness I tend to use Waves SSL4000 stereo comp on the Master output, but a nice linier multi band comp can help wonders at the mastering stage, or for the low end tracks at Mixing.

Yeah shortcuts are beasting!

Eck (G)

Back