First Mix - Hypnotic Creep

JMac52

This is my first mix that I'm willing to share outside of the band and immediate family.

Also my first time tracking vocals, or any other performers besides myself for that matter.

The drums are Drummer in Logic Pro X. I will be recording real drums for this and some other songs we have soon. I don't expect them to sound better, though, because a) I will probably screw up mic'ing and tracking and b) our drummer isn't very good - but hey, he's our drummer.

The are some things in this that bug me and I'd like to improve, but I'll wait to hear from the experts.

Any and all feedback appreciated!

Attachments

• Hypnotic Creep.mp3
    5.1 MB · Views: 14
Really, no feedback?:confused:

I figure the thread count view is bogus, but some of you at least clicked on the attachment!

Since the tune is incomplete, I'm going to focus on the elements you do have, and comment on what you're asking for, the mix and technical aspects. First thing that strikes me is a sense of distance in the lead vocals; the acquisition sounds like the singer is a fair distance from the mic; like it's just an ambient mic set up in the room. Because the keyboards and some of the guitars are drier and more upfront, this creates a sense of disconnect in the sound field. This could be as simple as mismatched reverb curves from track to track. In all, I think that everything could probably stand to be a little drier. The stereo field choices you made are fine, the imaging is good. If your drummer can't keep solid time, than I don't recommend replacing the track you have; a solid foundation made up of good meter is the basis for any good sounding recording. If you're making excuses for him and he hasn't even tracked yet, then perhaps you need to find a drummer that can serve the material well.

First thing that strikes me is a sense of distance in the lead vocals; the acquisition sounds like the singer is a fair distance from the mic; like it's just an ambient mic set up in the room. Because the keyboards and some of the guitars are drier and more upfront, this creates a sense of disconnect in the sound field. This could be as simple as mismatched reverb curves from track to track.

Larry,

Thanks, I appreciate the input. You are right, there are different reverbs on each track, and then 0.7 sec IR convolution on the master. I will try to better match reverb on each track or possibly do away with it on some.

J

The vocals are great. The mix has got a nice live sound. Guitars sound good, the space is very good. I really like the way this song develops. Only criticism I've got is the intro seems to take too long to get itself together. Chop off the 1st 22 seconds will give much better impact. The tune is kinda hypnotic. Nice job

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion on the intro. I'm tracking real drum kit for this and a couple others today. It will be interesting to see how my feel or thoughts on the mix change with those tracks...

Back