First mix from the new board. Flame away...

Czech54

Downtown - The Five Star Generals

This is the first mix off my new boards. It started off as just a couple of riffs thrown together to get an idea of sound but it turned out to be a pretty cool tune for just a scratch song written in about 10 minutes....

Couple of things i know are wrong with the mix so far...

-the vocals needs to be brought up the first few words of the first verse.
-the scratch guitars (all tracks rythym and solo) need to be re-recorded.
-a little less reverb on the voice.
-the drums might be a little bit overcompressed. (we were going for that trashy 'balls to the wall' sound)
-The cymbals need to be brought up in the mix a bit.

anything else????

Firstly. No flaming here. This is some awesome stuff. I can't find any glaring problems in the mix but I'm no expert. However I would agree with you that maybe the drums are a little compressed, but to me it only shows on the double kicks. And its hard to tell as it could just be the mp3 compression or whatever contributing. Apart from that I really like the mix, its very organic and full of life.

Damn good tune also, very upbeat, found myself instantly tapping my foot. Great vocals, great guitar work, solid bass, and I personally really like the guitar sound.

This is all IMHO, and I'm no expert but figured I'd throw in my 2 cents. All in all if it was me I'd be pretty happy with this. :)

Sorry I can't offer any major advice, apart from to say keep it up, this is some great stuff. :D

this made me want to play guitar in the 5 star generals. the vocals have a weird lack of presence and the kick sounds funny. other than that, COOL!!

Czech54 said:
Downtown - The Five Star Generals

This is the first mix off my new boards. It started off as just a couple of riffs thrown together to get an idea of sound but it turned out to be a pretty cool tune for just a scratch song written in about 10 minutes....

Couple of things i know are wrong with the mix so far...

-the vocals needs to be brought up the first few words of the first verse.
-the scratch guitars (all tracks rythym and solo) need to be re-recorded.
-a little less reverb on the voice.
-the drums might be a little bit overcompressed. (we were going for that trashy 'balls to the wall' sound)
-The cymbals need to be brought up in the mix a bit.

anything else????

Killer vocalist - super guitars - rockin' drums - ballsy bass.....can't ask for much better....

All combined with a catchy song.....

You've already found the things you don't like so just fix those up and you're cooking with gas......

Excellent!

:D :) :D :)

Thanks to everybody for the critiques / compliments! I'm glad you liked the song. I just got a VOX AC30 so in the next week or two I'll probably retrack / add some guitars. This is my first time doing any real recording and mixing with decent equipment.

I'll repost the song when it's updated.

Thanks again.

Classic mid 70's hard rock pop as in many of your cited influences.
That's my teen era so all I can say is MEATY BEATY BIG & BOUNCY.
This would've sat well on the chartz with Slade or later with Cheap Trick.
A TINY bit of bass definition & just a little pull back on the bass drumin the verse????

Back