First in depth logic mix

Lkoz91

Tell me what you guys think. A friend and I worked with an mbox2 so we only had 2 mics to record the drums with. Just thought this would be the best place to get some criticism though. Thanks in advanced!

Oh and I'm not sure if divshare lowers the quality but it seems to be the easiest way to link you guys to my song knowing that not everyone would wanna download the mp3.

http://www.divshare.com/download/9984842-c8c

Edit: Here's a better quality link:

Last edited:
Will come back and post some more thoughts in a second, but the first thing that jumps out at me is that boomy bass (for some reason the word 'wallowing' keeps on coming to mind)... waaay too loud and needs taming :p At the moment its overpowering.

What are you monitoring with?

yeah I get matts point....the guitars, vocals and high hat seem to be the only instruments at the right level..

the drums sound like they are out in the hall and the bass could do with some EQing...maybe try a sweep between 50-70hz and see if you can cut out the booming...the cymbals seem a bit washed out (streaming prolly didnt help)..

I think the vocals could do with some compression as the levels seem to go in and out..

good performance and an interesting song...real retro vibe about it and, unlike my stuff, always nice to here real drums on a track...nice one :)

(oh and Im a bit of a beginner so all of the above could be wrong lol)

Will come back and post some more thoughts in a second, but the first thing that jumps out at me is that boomy bass (for some reason the word 'wallowing' keeps on coming to mind)... waaay too loud and needs taming :p At the moment its overpowering.

What are you monitoring with?

While we were recording I was using my friends M-Audio monitors that came with that mbox2 package. While mixing I used his headphones, not too sure which kind of ATH they were, and my shitty skull candy in-ear bud headphones cuz my good pair is at school. Currently I dont have monitors so I burned it to a disc a couple times and brought it to my car to give it a listen. But yeah the drums before I eq'd them had basically no bass. I literally no nothing about eq'ing other than the small amounts I've screwed around with it and know the left side brings the bass up or down, haha.

yeah I get matts point....the guitars, vocals and high hat seem to be the only instruments at the right level..

the drums sound like they are out in the hall and the bass could do with some EQing...maybe try a sweep between 50-70hz and see if you can cut out the booming...the cymbals seem a bit washed out (streaming prolly didnt help)..

I think the vocals could do with some compression as the levels seem to go in and out..

good performance and an interesting song...real retro vibe about it and, unlike my stuff, always nice to here real drums on a track...nice one :)

(oh and Im a bit of a beginner so all of the above could be wrong lol)

I automated the vocals and might have to go over them again. I think I just started getting lazy and didn't check the levels throughout it's entirety. But with the drums, I'm really not sure how to eq them. I ended up bringing the bass up and adding compressions to the two mics. I'm gonna take a stab at it again and see if adding compression to the vocals will help. As of now though I just use the presets because I really don't know how to work the plug-ins otherwise.

Oh and incase divshare lowers the quality I'll attach the mp3.

Really appreciate the responses guys! Thanks!

Thanks man! Appreciate it. Now that I put the song in a folder I labeled "Music" in the drop box folder, how do you get it?

Got it. Thanks for being so patient, hopefully this helps now!

nope not for me

you want the link on the actual track not the folder I think

right click on the track and go down to dropbox > "copy public link"

on the folder in my finder or the one on the website?

your folder...when you update any files you just drop them in and the web ones are updated automatically...you just have to wait a few minutes until you see the green tick which means they're updated

bingo....in all its glory ;)

I think it maybe brings out the problems in the drums even more unfortunately...the guitars sound crystal clear and the cymbals appear more washy (is that a word?)

here's a link to a post I put up for n00bs on compression and gating (and myself ;)) hope it can help some

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=293959

as for recording drums with two mics someone can maybe give some help...im a software kinda guy :o

ok heres a version where only one mic has compression on it. I think this helped the "washy" cymbals.

Thanks for that thread too, I'm gonna give that a read tomorrow and start off the new year the right way!

Cool tune. Your primary vocal track is good, especially in the beginning with the low-mid registers. Smooth. As the song progresses and the vocals with it, and they start hitting upper mid-range, a couple of little mistakes that could be easily compressed away (need a little smoothing), and I would think a little more medium-combined-with-short (small room in Lexicon settings) reverb on the main vox would be good. Good mix, great tune.

When I tried reverb on the vocals it didnt come out too well so I kind of gave up on that. I really need to read up more on compression before I make another attempt at this.

Are you critiquing the updated mix?

When I tried reverb on the vocals it didnt come out too well so I kind of gave up on that. I really need to read up more on compression before I make another attempt at this.

Are you critiquing the updated mix?

Well, only having two mics can be a limiting factor, but there's a technique called "Recorderman" that will help you a lot. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Fjuz7jXzs). You got clean acquisition on everything except the drums. Vox are too dry for my taste (and a bit pitchy in a few places), but some of it might be that the drums sort of occupy a different physical space than the entire rest of the mix, and it's distracting me. If it's a lack of plugins to fix it in post-production, there are some free reverbs out there that are decent.

It's a cool tune, played well. I like the arrangement, especially the use of the backup vocals toward the end.

I actually did try the recorderman method but wasn't too sure how to measure it exactly so we just guessed on where to put the mics based on that same video you linked and then just moved them around until their peaks were hitting at the same times. Another problem was the mics we were using: The M-Audio Nova Large Condensor Mic & the Sennheiser e609

Back