First Impression

Outlaws

So I just downloaded Reaper. I must say....I thought Tracktion was the best thing going for people looking for an easy program to get into. I am liking this very much. A few things I still can't wrap my head around, but overall, I am impressed.

So I just downloaded Reaper. I must say....I thought Tracktion was the best thing going for people looking for an easy program to get into. I am liking this very much. A few things I still can't wrap my head around, but overall, I am impressed.

Yeah, I switched over from Sonar 6.2 a few weeks back, and so far see little reason to go back. :D Great application, but I'd expect no less from the guys who did Winamp.

Yeah, I think I've used everything except Logic.... and I find Reaper to be the quickest, easiest, and has the best work flow. I guess it's all in how someone likes to work.

I actually sold my copy of 'Slow Tools' the week after I started messing with Reaper.

There's a band I really like in my city, who have been recording themselves for a long time in various formats.... and no way more about this stuff than I do.... but I was able to convince them that Reaper was easier on the computer resources than Sonar was, so they have since switched over.

I just installed the trial version on my computer over the holidays, from a Computer Music mag disc, and I'm pretty impressed so far with the seemingly simple/easy-to-use interface. I think I may be using this program and spring the 50 bucks to actually buy it. I've also looked at Adobe Audition 3.0 but I think the learning curve on that is quite a bit steeper.

I know Adobe Audition very well, as I have used it since it was Cool Edit Pro, then Audition 1, 2 and now 3.

In my opinion, Reaper is better. It's also less expensive.

Toker, I'm not sure but isn't this a video monitor thing? I doubt Reaper would "overlook" a basic function like that...

Yes, I'm pretty sure they did. Had a dual monitor set up for awhile, but ditched it due to space constrictions (for now). Reaper wouldn't work as a dual monitor app should.

Shame that it's a deal breaker for you, toker. It's a phenomenal app.

???

I use reaper with dual monitors. Tracking on one screen, mixer on the other.
Just right click the mixer and undock it then drag it over.

like most of you i started with cool edit and i find reaper very similar but also much more self explanatory

and yes, you definately can use dual monitor display.

I'm gonna be honest hear and say that ditching software because it doesn't support dual monitors is a rather superficial reason to miss out on some sweet software, especially since it has worked just fine for me with two monitors.

I'm gonna be honest hear and say that ditching software because it doesn't support dual monitors is a rather superficial reason to miss out on some sweet software, especially since it has worked just fine for me with two monitors.

Wrong. It's just as legitimate a reason as any other. No different than it missing any major feature that one regularly uses.

Multi monitor use with any recording program is a must. Not only does it give me 2 monitors to use with the time line, and the mixer, it also gives me a third to use when I'm not at the desk. Like when I'm sitting at my V-drums. Simply take my wireless mouse with me, and I'm good anywhere in the studio thanks to a large 37" third monitor that hangs on the wall, and is viewable from anywhere in the room.

There is no way I could use any recording software efficiently with a single monitor.

I have 8 computers in my house. All have multi monitors. Try it just once, and you will never go back to single monitor.

I have tried it. As I said, I've done it with Reaper. While it is nice, it really isn't that much more efficient for me than one monitor, it just looks nicer. And costs a lot more and takes up a whole lot more desk space. If you think it is impossible to use a DAW efficiently with only one monitor, than maybe it is your style that is messed up and not the DAW, because there are many, many people who work just fine with one monitor.

What I'm saying to use is that it would be a worthwhile complaint if everything made it Reaper came out sounding like crap, but discounting it just because you don't think it works with your two monitors (it does, btw, b/c I've done it) is a pretty dumb reason. If someone gave you a Ferrarri, would you say, "Sorry, I don't want it because I can't see out the back very well"?

Sorry for my rant, but it sounds to me like you opened it up, noticed it loaded on one monitor by default, didn't touch anything at all, and then got rid of it. That's a very poor way to run a trial.

I'm new to DAWs/recording but not new to software at all.

I've been setting up a small personal studio for about 3 weeks now using Cubase LE4, Firebox, and FaderPort (Presonus). I had been reading about Reaper since I started but dismissed it (purely subjective). My buddy and I were going to share files to collaborate and duh I realized we can't with different programs (native files not .wav).

Since I knew he couldn't afford to step up to Cubase and I've been struggling with it for weeks. I decided to download Reaper and just "look" at it. Within a few hours I pretty much understood how it operated on the top level. So for $50 bought a license, and within one day I got much farther than I ever got with Cubase. It recoginzed both my Presonus Firebox and FaderPort. There were some trade-offs with the FaderPort but in the end, I think I picked up functionality with Reaper.

Everything was were I expected it to be. I/Os were presented logically, zooms worked as I expected, plug-ins were easy to add without HAVING to know how the programs were installed. I've become much more productive and can focus more on recording than becoming computer technican.

Then there a the tons of people using it, uploading skins, plug-ins, etc.

NICE JOB.

I literally just downloaded Reaper like two days ago....already have recorded a few beats with it....

pretty ill app.

I like it better than Acid 7.0, but not Adobe Audition 3.0

Back