First: GAP PRE-73...Now: GAP COMP-54

kidvybes

...for those of us who have been pleased with the value/quality/performance of the Golden Age Projects PRE-73 (Neve 1073 preamp clone), now we've got something new to save up our pennies for...

...I just got word from Bo at GAP, that the upcoming companion compressor, COMP-54 (based on the Neve 2254/64 vintage compressors) will be shipping sometime in August...price point should be similar to the PRE-73 and both units will mount neatly on the 1U rack tray currently available...

...who would have thought you could get a decent Neve clone mic pre/compressor combo for around $600?...if the compressor proves to be as good as the preamp, what a deal!...anyway, here's a pic Bo sent me and he also remarked:

"The final version will have a meter switch and two scales on the meter for GR (Gain Reduction) and Output."

(and NO, I don't work for GAP...just an enthusiastic fan of their products!)

Attachments

• GAP comp54.jpg
    GAP comp54.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
...really looks promising...the "In/Out" button allows you to send a signal thru the compressor with or without active compression, so you could use the unit for coloration (3 transformers in the circuit) even when bypassing compression...

...gotta love that!...

Yup looks like this will be on my list to get.
My only thoughts are.... will I have to send it out to get modded like the pre73?
Bring it up to standards with better transformers, like Carnhill?

:cool:

Yup looks like this will be on my list to get.
My only thoughts are.... will I have to send it out to get modded like the pre73?
Bring it up to standards with better transformers, like Carnhill?

:cool:

...that's a judgement call you'll have to make...I like the PRE-73 right out of the box...although the transformer upgrades offer some improvement, the character of the preamp is quite good un-modded...of course, I have a vintage Neve and a Great River, and they all offer variations on the "Neve" sound, so the un-modded PRE-73 is fine for me...I have recommended the GAP to quite a few of my associates and they too are pleased with the un-modded version...and it's nice to know that the upgrade is always an option down the road, should you favor it... ;)

anybody pick one up yet? I'm seriously thinking of adding one to my rack. also considering the BLA AGB compressor but I like the GA compressor only uses a half rack

Back