First Full Song

andybhoy

hi,

Short Lived by andybhoy88 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Ive been gradually putting my studio together and trying to learn a bit while doing it. So after recording a few covers, coming here for tips and stumbling across tutorials etc I thought I'd upload my first tune. (well, its actually my second... but my first I was really still learning what all the buttons did in cubase and by time it was "finished" i hated it and deleted it....)

Please have a wee listen and critique.

There's a few bum notes n stuff which I'll try and fix when the wife and kids let me......

cheers

I'd say your learning has served you well. This is quite good for such an early effort. A couple of thoughts:

1) The staccato strings get old kinda quick. Maybe a bit too much on those.

2) The vocals are good--and carry the message of the song. But they're a bit buried. Don't be afraid to bring 'em up a bit.

3) The electric guitars are a bit harsh and a little too mono. There's lots on this site about getting heavy guitar and double tracking for size--look 'em up. Or PM me and ask. I do lots of electric guitars and would love to give you some offline input if you're open to it.

Bottom line--the song itself is good. That's 90% of the battle. It's worth pushing and improving. Congrats...

Great song! I thought it worked really well in your accent. As above, vocals need to be louder, I thought they sounded a little thin towards the end. Maybe the added volume would help, maybe some EQ or re-tracking. I didn't notice any bum notes. Agree with BigRed on the strings - they're very synthy, so tire quickly - I liked it when the song broke down towards the end and they came prominent again, though. Maybe if they're cut/faded through the middle of the song.

I found the centre was quite cluttered - with BigRed's advice on the guitars, that might sort that out a bit. Maybe more panning would help spread somewhat.

Really good song, though!

cool, thanks guys.

I had a feeling the staccato strings would tire - I wasnt sure if it was just because I have listened to the song so much, or if they would get boring. Defo need cut back a bit. And I need to see how to make them sound less synthy.

BigRed I was trying to get quite a heavy sound, but have probably went round it the wrong way, I defo agree its too harsh, especially the lead guitar. Its just mono and I probably got carried away with Guitar Rig too much... Id love some tips, very much appreciated. Ill PM you, cheers.

Back