First full mix in ProTools 10

bart2712

Finally finished my first full mix using ProTools 10 instead of Reaper...take a listen, let me know what you think.

Odd part is once I bounce to disk or use the bounce to track method, WMP won't play the file but it works fine if I select the option to share it to SoundCloud.

https://soundcloud.com/outta-time/hbmix_02

Sounds like a good start of something. My main issue is that the overall level is really low. So much that I think its not delivering the energy you are wanting.

yea i kinda had some issues with bounce to disk at first and it sounded like it was clipping so i removed plugins from the master before bouncing this one.
I figured out the issue though so I can probably redo it.

Updated, louder version... https://soundcloud.com/outta-time/hb3

Last edited:
The updated version is much, much better. Nice full sound :) Everything is sitting nicely and the mix uses a good range of L+R, the only thing which sounds a bit off is the distorted guitars, but I know how hard it is to get a clean distorted track. Took me almost 3 years of home recording until I got anywhere near close to where I wanted my guitar tracks to sound!

At the moment the guitar track just seems a little too mono and it takes away from the overall wide mix, it's right infront of you at Center. Perhaps if you tried double tracking the guitars, one to hard Left and one Right but with slightly different distortion, cabinets etc. it may help to give a fuller sound. Maybe even dial back the distortion if you are reamping a clean track to tighten it up a bit?

Thx for the input...Just to be clear, though, I didn't track any of this, just mixed it...I actually got the tracks from The 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library (Cambridge Music Technology) ...the distorted guitar was a single track and not doubled, so yeah it came out kinda mono...im pretty happy with it overall. Interesting, though, somehow I seem to do better with mixes in PT than I ever did in Reaper...maybe it just feels more natural to me somehow.

Ah I get you, so not much room to work with the distortion.
Well there's still a few things you could do to widen the guitar track if you wanted, by making two instances of it with one hard left and one hard right and give one a ~10ms offset will help give it more depth while avoiding phasing issues to a degree. This is only me being nit-picky though really!

very true...i just kinda chose to keep it the way it was. All that said, ya think it sounds like a professional mix, or you reckon it would still need some work?

can't seem to find the actual lyrics for this song...seems this band split up in 2013 to pursue other project, but if you google juliets rescue, you can find some pics of the singer.

Also, I listened to the official version, and seems theres a guitar part in the beginning I totally didn't hear somehow, and official version is much more bass heavy than my mix.

Did she say "chicken claw" at the beginning there? Anyway, I listened without knowing you got the tracks from a mix site--I thought, "Goddamn, it's tracked really good," and it was--the guitars are fine, I'd just drop the levels of the distorted gits, move them more to the center, and that's that. It's about the singer. The mix sounds pretty good to me. As far as the volume, I only listened to the first posted "quiet" mix. I reached for the control and just turned it up, and it was all good.
If anything, bring up the lead vocal--certainly at the second verse, where it seems to drop off. I'd also add some reverb and delay to taste, but that's a personal preference. Also, roll off the low end of the distorted guitar. I really like the song--it's crazy how many good songs go utterly unnoticed--the below-the-water of the iceberg, with many not so good songs sitting on the tip, as it were.

I checked out the link, and indeed, it's a link from Mike Senior's book "Mixing Secrets For The Small Studio". A massive collection of tunes there to mix. I've been very busy doing my own stuff, whilst reading that book. It's time to try out some of those songs there, I think. Hey bart2712, have you read that book? It's quite good, despite Senior's occasional odd locutions.

Seems you have to buy that book, so no, I haven't had the chance to buy and read it yet. If there was some kindof digital version of it I'd probably be more likely to get it, but I'll probably buy it eventually.

Back