First electric for a keyboard player

SuperJX

Huh?
The time has come to buy my first electric guitar and I could use your help with recommendations for a short list.

Been practicing on a half-decent Yamaha steel-stringed acoustic for about six months and doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere on what to consider for my first electric. I'm building a basement studio, so am not looking for a live rig (or something that's particularly pretty). I'll be playing the guitar through a DI and software emulators mostly, though I have a Markley combo amp and a handful of old pedals. I tend to prefer alternative and 80's music, with a fair amount of keyboard parts, so will use the guitar for rhythm with the occasional lead (assuming my playing ability progresses :) ). Looking for a used electric that's pretty versatile but still easy to learn on in the $200 range.

With the style of music I like (Police, the Fixx, Rush, Gary Numan, Nine Inch Nails, etc.), I've been looking at HSS strat-type guitars. Tried the strats at Guitar Center and liked the Highway 1 but don't wanna spend $800 on my first guitar! Also tried some of the cheaper Fender/Squire strats, but found that I prefer the Rosewood fingerboard and thicker frets. From recommendations here about Ibanez, I've been leaning towards an SA 160 series from eBay.

Anyone have other suggestions on guitars to consider, or that I should stay away from?

Thanks!

SuperJX said:
Anyone have other suggestions on guitars to consider, or that I should stay away from?

Thanks!

If you liked the Highway strat, check out the squier strat.

Personally, I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica.

TelePaul said:
If you liked the Highway strat, check out the squier strat.
And the squier frets are like razor blades. Don't ya think they'd file the edges down before they ship 'em out.

I'd recommend an IBANEZ RG series. Look for RG 321 MH ( mahogany body). No tremolo. ... and 24 frets + 5 way switching with 2 PU's

johnnymegabyte said:
And the squier frets are like razor blades. Don't ya think they'd file the edges down before they ship 'em out.

I'd recommend an IBANEZ RG series. Look for RG 321 MH ( mahogany body). No tremolo. ... and 24 frets + 5 way switching with 2 PU's

Quality control is an issue...just ask the amount of people in this forum that SWEAR by their strats! Personally, I havnt had wirey frets but maybe I just got lucky. DOes the Ibanez have buckers, yes?

TelePaul said:
Personally, I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica.

I'd vote on the pacifica too. For its price it sounds very decent, and it's very versatile, two single coils and a humbucker that can produce a wide variety of tones (provided you know how to adjust your amp to match)

just stay away from the epiphones ;)

you sound like you have a good idea on what youre looking for already, which is very good.

ive heard good things about the pacifica. supposedly a very good beginner guitar. the only one ive ever played was severely abused, but i could tell there was a very nice guitar under the scratches, stickers, duct tape, spray paint, anarchy symbols and whiteout. ya.....white out.

rondomusic carries a variety of nice guitars, maxing out at only 500 american for a doubleneck SG.

if the highway ones are too expensive, consider the mexican strats for a quality entrylevel to intermediate guitar. some pros use them even, namely the guy from los lonely boys (something garza.....)

ive played very good squiers and EXTREMELY bad ones. play anything you buy first if you can.

i suggest going into the stores near you and buying from there so you can play something first before buying it.

Good luck!

Adam

Thanks everyone for the suggestions-- hadn't tried the Yamaha Pacifica. I'll look for one at my local shops.

I've been underwhelmed by the Squiers I've played, but maybe I've just been playing the wrong ones.

Are you serious with the rondomusic site? Assumed that they were the Behringer of electrics and the earlier post was a joke.

My strategy has been to try and find a $200 used intermediate level guitar that was $400 new with some miles put on it and have a pro set it up. I'm starting to think that I don't know enough about guitars to make a reasonable decision :rolleyes:

As a side note--anyone have a suggestion for a favorite site or book that can give me a tutorial on pickups and guitar electronics?

I bought two SX (Rondo) basses , a P and a P/J, which needed only thorough setups to be solid gigging instruments. The P was $110 and the P/J $120. Definately an option.

The Pacificas are real sleepers, but my favorite in the class are the woefully underrated USA Peavey Predators, which sell for well under $200 routinely. They also had the Reactor if you decide to go Tele-style.

Stew-Mac has instructions for setups and much more on their site under "Free Information."

you liked the highway-1? hmmm... i thought it was kind of dull. I prefered some of the mexican strats. soundwise I'd say most of them sound like the real deal... I just wanted 22 frets at least, but you might get along with 21. fine guitars. but I don't think you get them for 200$, do you?

yamaha has some other nice guitars, though a bit pricier but still not expensive. on the other hand I think it's wise to start with a 200$-axe as it will take some time and playing to figure out what _exactly_ you want (though you're already quite specific)... would be a pain in the arse to have bought a 1000$-guitar that doesn't suit you. ;)

Yamaha also has some good Strat knock-off options. I don't have any practical experience with Yamaha guitars, but I've read some good things about the Pacifica model, at various guitar-centric forums.

Matt

edit: Okay, I was reading through the other replies a bit too quickly...Yamaha/Yamaha Pacifica has been mentioned several times before I replied! If anything, they have a great word-of-mouth reputation, huh? :)

Last edited:
My first guitar, when I started playing again two years ago was a squire strat. After two months I began to hate it ´cause I thought it sounded really bad. After having played for just a couple of months it´s obviously hard the judge, and as a lot of people on different forums seemed to think that 70% of the tone is in the fingers I thought that was probably it.

Until about a month later, when I happened to try a used Ibanez RG550 in the local music store. My first thought was "wow, this is the way it´s supposed to sound". So I returned the squire (at quite a loss) and bought the Ibanez instead.

I´m currently on my second Ibanez, a sz520, and I love it. I liked to tone of the RG but when you´ve only played for at little while the floyd rose can be a bit intimidating.

I think I´ll stay with Ibanez for a while, and my next one will be another RG.

Since you are leaning towards a "strat style" a couple that you may find worth checking out would be Ibanez RG series (often used for well under $200) or a Jackson. Washburn also makes some good strat style in the same price range (used) or you might find a mim Fender if you look around a little. There are tons of strat style guitars so finding one that "feels right" and sounds good is going to be the important thing for you. Look around and try a lot of them, when you pick up the right one (it will just feel right) you will know it. Don't be afraid to buy used, just check them over carefully and make sure everything works properly, even if you plan to make a few modifications to them (it's easier if they are working right to start with.) Try to avoid used guitars with highly visable repairs (a good indication of abuse) and always check the frets for wear, a fret job may cost more than the guitar. For what it's worth... my favorite strat style guitar is a 1980 Hamer that I found at a yard sale for $130. Happy hunting, there is one out there for you too.

well, now that jackson is mentioned. I bought a dinky dk2 just about half a year ago. the dk2 is probably the cheapest model they have... but that wasn't the reason I bought it. I think it's just fabulous. not only for the price. even strat-players say it sounds amazing. it's a h-s-s. you want jimi? you get jimi. you want 80's hair? there you go.
i read that its bridge pu (they're seymour duncan designed, btw) might be to weak for extremer metal... I don't really think so, I rather think it has to do with its frequency-response. anyway. It's a damn fine guitar and very versatile (man, I compared it to mid- and high-class fenders!!!).
try one if you see one... but I'd still say start with the cheapest guitar possible that fits your needs acceptably.

My wifes first electric was a Yamaha Pacifica 012, Guitar Center carries them, well ours does. Keeps its tune very well, HSS, just like what you want. Pick one up and go into there acoustic guitar room (or a quiet corner of the store), just listen to the guitar unplugged first, if you likey that you might like it plugged in, so plug into the amp you have or hope to SOON have, and try it out there.

Her second guitar is a Agile 2500 les paul looky like. Now there is a guitar.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500tribalgreen.html <--this is what I gave her for her birthday. And we haven't even put on good strings yet, but it sounds great, IMHO very HUMBLE, not well formed, opinion that is....

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

Back