First Drum Session

Alexbt

(This is not a complete mix, but I figure more people may see it here and be able to help)

Had a short but educational session yesterday recording the drums for our new EP.

There's a lot of stuff to be worried about here. I don't think our drummer was playing his best, but I'm mainly concerned with my mic placement.

I'm not liking some of the sounds I'm getting, and I could use some tips.

Here's the mic setup I used:

(1 & 2 were scratch)
3. XY overhead pointing left
4. XY overhead pointing right
5. hi-hat mic
6. low tom/ride mic
7. kick mic
8. snare mic

Here are some basic mixdowns with extreme panning on the overheads and hi-hat/ride mics, all at their recorded volume.
I can post individual tracks if anyone wants to hear.

Example 1

Example 2

Thanks,

Alex

Listened to the OTTN - pretty good mix on this - the only thing I didn't like was the repetitive crash cymbals - but that's probably not the norm when paying a song. Everthign was clear and easy to make out, nice snappy snare and not too much hi-hat. Nice panning between the crash and the ride. Now the true test would be how does it sound in a mix? May need to adjust a bit when in the context of a tune. I am not a drummer but I'd be pretty happy with this. Maybe we can get some drummers to listen and give their feedback....

Well, I have some personal problems with the sound.

The hi-hat seems to have an 'echo' on the left side, perhaps from the floor tom/ride mic.
In certain places, the snare also seems to have a bit of an echo, as well.

I have no idea what's causing this or what I could do about it, except for placement and isolation, which in some cases I had no real control over (tight spaces!)

EDIT: I dunno what you mean about the repedative crash stuff.. I think you may be hearing the weird micing of the hi-hat.

Back