First attempt in years

Twampy

Hi Guys,
This is my first attempt in years, I hope you enjoy.
I used Sonar to produce it and recorded the vocals using a Berhinger C1 condenser microphone. The guitar is a Gibson SG through Amplitube. My audio interface is an EMU 1616.
I used to play live and used sonar for controlling midi more than anything else, it worked great, controlling keyboards and guitar boxes etc. It was my ambition to get stuck in at home and this track represents my first effort.
The song was written back in 1989.
https://soundcloud.com/twampy/lived-a-life-today-1

Last edited:
Good start. Good song. Nice voice.

Drums need to come up a lot. Almost can barely not hear the snare and that's about all I hear. They should be tonally balanced and right near the same level as the lead vox. the kick is non-existent.

The bass is very mushy. Lots of extreme low end and not much else so there is no definition. Maybe that's an artistic choice, but I think there's room for improvement.

One thing I repeat a lot is to start with just the drums. Get them sounding awesome all on their own. Then add in the bass and make it sit well with the kick. Then bring in the lead vocals and put them at the same level as the bass and kick, or maybe slightly louder. Then bring in everything else in a supporting role. All those synths, pads, rhythm guitars and whatever else shouldn't be louder than the drums, bass and vox.

Again, good start. Looking forward to hearing more from ya!!! :)

Cheers for the comments so far, funny enough I always used to start with bass lines and drums back in my old days of sequencing and some how lost it when using DAWS so thanks for the tip. And my bass is perhaps a little deep which is kind of my preference although I checked on a few other sound systems to make sure it was not too heavy.

Back