First Acoustic Recoding Project. Need Advice!!!

Emphasis

Hey guys,so as the title suggest, I'm planning on taking on my first acousitc recording and need a few pointers or mic'ing technique, and room selection.

THE SCRATCH TRACK Will Be recorded using
-DI/ TS on my acoustic-electric

-1 Mic somewhere between the guitar's soundhole, and vocalist's soundhole lol.
(The scratch track quality isn't a huge concern of mine, i'm just using it for refrencing guitar fills and other junk like that. I'll be comping all the seperately recorded pars later.)

THE PROJECT WILL CONSIST OF

-Vocals/ Rapping (Probaly recorded farily dry/ with very little to no room ambience. Will ad artificial reverb later)

-Acoustic Guitar Finger picked and strummed. THink something like "More than Words" by Extreme (D.I./TS into my MBOX 2, and maybe close mic'd with a low end roll off on the mic) Hoping somebody will have some pointers ont mic'quing the guitar to get a nice full sound.

-Electric guitar solos and fills. (Recorded D.I./ TS Since i don't have an amp)

-MIDI DRUMS, BASS, and KEYS Pretty Straight Forward. I have most of the midi
parts composed already.
Thinking about buying some drum plugins for this project. If any body has any suggestions. I'm thinking something like tooktrack's Superior Drumer 2.0 ?

THE MICROPHONE I'LL MOST LIKELY BE USING FOR THE WHOLE PROJECT:
STERLING AUIDIO ST 59 condenser mic. Has a -10db pad, cardiod, figure 8 and onni pattern, and a low end roll off

VOCALS - Cradiod pattern, and maybe a low end roll off.

ACOUSTIC GUITAR -Low end rolls off (most likely, so it won't sound too boomy).
Not sure if I should use a cardiod pattern, or embrase my room's shitty acousitics with a figure 8 or omni pattern.

ROOM OPTIONS:

-MY ROOM
NOT TREATED! However , I do have 2 beds (don't ask lol), carpet, a nice thick blanket covering my bed room window, and some other small home furnishing , which I think should help kill some of the unwanted air and low end.
To avoid the highs getting drowned out by the furniture/ muffled sound, I usually face the back fo my mic (in cardiod pattern) at about a 45 degree angle from my closet's somewhat hallow door (about 1 and a half feet in distance from the closet door) . This, I believe, helps me capture a little bit of the room's reflections. I could be wrong, but it seems to work for me.
My fear is that the guitar will sound too muffled when recorded in my room.

-Friend's home studio/ Booth
One of my class mate's has a decent home set up (some neumann mics, nice pre amps, a real vocal booth, not a makeshift closet.)
My Concerns
-She charges $20/hour (not terrible). But since I'd be tracking myself without a session engineer, it'd be twice the work, and also cost atleast twice as much out of pocket.

- i've hear good and bad things about recording booths. I'm not sure how much justice a booth would pay to the acoustic guitar parts. or if they would sound too unatrual/ muffled in a booth. Maybe I would try recording the vocals there, if my home recordings don't work out too well.

Vocal Booth At School
- I have access to a nice booth at school, which isolates sound pretty decently. The only problem is that we have some internet servers in the rooms, whose hisss can clearly be heard in recrodings. Not sure If i wanna have to gate the performance, or really deal with hissing durring post production at all.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

I'm no expert... but what I really enjoy doing for micing an acoustic guitar is
*Use a condenser mic about six inches from the sound hole. The mic stays in front of the sound hole but faces the 12th fret. This seems to give me a nice sound.
*I record a take. I then pan it hard left and create new track to record another take. I pan this hard right before I record, as it lets me hear both parts really well.
I hope this helps (or at least gives you something concrete to try out).
As far as the booth is concerned- I have heard good things about this product (and will probably be buying it soon)

I'm no expert... but what I really enjoy doing for micing an acoustic guitar is
*Use a condenser mic about six inches from the sound hole. The mic stays in front of the sound hole but faces the 12th fret. This seems to give me a nice sound.
*I record a take. I then pan it hard left and create new track to record another take. I pan this hard right before I record, as it lets me hear both parts really well.
I hope this helps (or at least gives you something concrete to try out).
As far as the booth is concerned- I have heard good things about this product (and will probably be buying it soon)

Sounds just about right! I'm curious though, what kind of condenser are we talking about? As for the booth, I will stay put and am very interested in the results. A couple of comparison-clips would be awesome.

You should ask your friend for advice and she could show you. If she's got a booth and even charges her friends for letting them record, she better know what she's doing.

As for MIDI drums, I highly recommend XLN Addictive Drums. It's kind of a hassle to program the beats at first (done within whatever DAW you're using), but once you get the hang of it you will not have to look back.

The best thing you can do is set aside a little time to have the musician come in and play in that room, and just listen carefully. Move your head around the instrument and find where it sounds good to your ear. Then get the mic, and while listening to it on headphones, move that around while they play. You'll learn more about what works in 4 minutes of doing this than you would in 30 pages of forum opinions.

I do recommend you get some additional mics - - the sound of one mic, used on everything, can give you problems in mixing. Even 2 or 3 cheap mics plus your Sterling would be better than just the Sterling on everything. Use the Sterling on things that need to shine or stand out, and use the others for backup instruments or for capturing room ambience.

As far as room choice, think about how much liveliness (ambience or reverb) you want. A common mistake is to close-mic everything or to use a completely dead room, like a booth. If you have access to pro-grade effects (like a plate reverb) that you can insert later, this can work. If you don't, you'll end up with dull lifeless sounding tracks.

One of the best singer / acoustic guitar player tracks I ever got was with the artist playing and singing in a tiled bathroom, with a LDC vocal mic, a LDC guitar mic, and a SDC room mic. Test the room - - clap your hands and listen to the decay of the sound. If the decay has a pitch, that's usually a bad sign; but if it just sounds like a decaying clap, then you've got a good place to try.

Back