FireWire/USB Interface Question

frankthetank727

I am running a Sony Vaio, Windows 7 64 bit with Nvidia graphics. I am looking into buying a new audio interface since Pro Tools 9 came out, and I notice that many of the interfaces are firewire out. My computer does not have a firewire input, so does anyone know if using a firewire to usb cable will affect performance of the unit? I know firewire transfer speed is faster than USB, so I have no idea if using this kind of cable/connection to the computer would affect recording through the interface. This is rather important to me, because I need to know if I am limited to buying a USB only interface. Any input will do, thanks!

You cannot do firewire->usb.

usb interfaces will let you do up to 12-16 channels simultaneously.

If you still want to go firewire and your vaio has a expresscard slot, you can get a Belkin or SIIG expresscard firewire card (with built in Texas Intruments firewire chips - very important with audio interfaces - for a reasonable amount.)

Looking at the Sony web site it looks like it has a mini firewire connection? I could be wrong. These are unpowered firewire connections so the device has to be powered by a power pack instead of via the firewire connection. I have this set up on my laptop.

Alan

Back