Firewire/PCI adapter card

Ptron

I bought a Firepod before I realized my relatively new Asus A8N-E motherboard doesn't have a firewire port. If I use a firewire-to-PCI adapter card, will the PCI bus be a bottleneck in the chain?

No...The PCI Buss has more Bandwidth than the Firewire so there will be no Bottleneck.....

I believe you can run up to 6 FW Inputs on a single PCI slot and still not reach the full bandwidth of the PCI slot......

Even a simple PCI Video Capture card has enough bandwidth to transfer Uncompressed audio and Video to your PC without bottlenecking and uncompressed Video sucks up to 1.2gb of Data in a Single Minute and even 32 tracks of audio doesn"t even come close to 1.2gb per minute.....

Cheers

Minion said:
No...The PCI Buss has more Bandwidth than the Firewire so there will be no Bottleneck.....

I believe you can run up to 6 FW Inputs on a single PCI slot and still not reach the full bandwidth of the PCI slot......

Uh... not quite. A single standard 33 MHz 32-bit PCI slot will move up to 132MB/second (33 MHz x 32 bits per cycle). That would be just over the throughput of a single FireWire 800 (800 Mb/sec =~ 100 MB/sec.) or two FireWire 400 ports. That's why most FireWire cards have three ports that are split between only two actual FireWire busses.

Back