Firewire or usb ? ? Laptop or pc ? ?

rxkevco

Hi all,
I have lately been using a BOSS BR1180CD digital multitracker to record some songs for my website. I also have CUBSAE SYSTEM 4, which is a steinberg bundle of SL3 and the M14 audio interface.
Although i have been delighted with the versitality and uncomplicated ease of use of the boss unit, i have found that i would have had much better recordings and final versions of my songs if i could have had more than the 8 tracks avilable to me on the boss.
Which has brought me to get the system 4 out of its box again.

My pc has 2gb of ram, and a 3.4ghz dual core intel cpu and an audigy 2 zx soundcard, running on vista premium. This is my main internet and email pc as well and isnt used for recording.

I have a laptop running xp, , which also has 2gb of ram and an AMD 3700+ cpu which is equivilent to a 2.6ghz intel processor ( i believe ! ). I dont use this laptop for inernet and have it optimised for recording.

I have quite a few softsynths which are installed on my pc and i happily play them with my M-AUDIO OXYGEN 61 midi controller.

My grand plan is to start using cubase ( with my novice limited knowledge ) and install it on the laptop along with the softsynths as it should be powerful enough to run the software.

My main question really, is, , I have just noticed that my laptop has a 4 pin firewire input on it,, as does the audigy zx on my main pc.

The steinberg M14 connects via usb and although it has lots of ins and outs, spdif and midi in and outs it doesnt have firewire !

Before i start setting things up and sell my BOSS unit, should i carry on and use the m14 audio device or should i invest in another device that has firewire on it ? ? ?

I would just like some opinions on firewire v usb, , the laptop v pc debate and finally, , is the M14 any good despite its lack of firewire ? ?

I just want to get everything straight in my head before i start wiping drives and reinstalling software, synths and cubase etc. . .

What should i do ? ?
Many thanks, kev.

PS: feel free to vist my soundclick page and have a listen to some of my material recorded on the BOSS BR1180CD ! ! would value any thoughts or opinions.

http://www.soundclick.com/kevinpaulcoughlan

Last edited:
Back