Firewire Connection

reddclay

I am reposting this in a new thread as was suggested.

I am trying to install the driver for an M-Audio 410 Firewire that I am first getting to after 4 or 5 years. . I also have a midiman uno connection with a USB to computer and two midi (in and out) I downloaded the driver to my laptop (Windows vista 64 Bit). Everytime I plug it in it starts searching for the driver and then says can't locate it. I already downloaded it and even did an uninstall and reinstall a couple of times. M. Audio control panel is located in the lower right hand corner and all the files are there.

I then tried it on my computer with Windows XP 32 bit. Samething. Then realized that the cable might have it's own driver and it did. So I downloaded it that. Similar problem, everytime I connect it to the computer, it says searching for the midiman uno driver but I'm 99% sure it's installed. It even recognizes it as a midiman uno whereas when I connect to my vista computer it says it is not recognized.

Went back to vista to download the uno driver and it says that it doesn't need a driver in Vista.

Neither one is working. I never used the firewire or the cable but they are about 3 or 4 years old.

It seems it should be a 1,2,3 download but either i'm doing something wrong, the old midiman uno is not useful or some other minor thing I'm overlooking. I've not got the firewire to light up when I connect it. I assume you do not need the adapter with this cable.
What can i do to get fix this?
Thanks
David

Put away the Uno for now. concentrate on the M-Audio 410. - your computer recognizes the device but it just says it can't find the driver? Can you manually choose the driver when windows pops-up the new hardware window?

No, it says it didn't find it if I manual select it. I suspect it could be the Uno but that's the only think I have to connect. What cable should I go buy?

No, it says it didn't find it if I manual select it. I suspect it could be the Uno but that's the only think I have to connect. What cable should I go buy?

You lost me - are you trying to connect the M-audio using the Uno cable? Go put the Uno in a drawer and get your interface working, then you can worry about the midi connection. I don;t understand what you mean about the only thing you have to connect being the Uno - do you not have a firewire cable?

That is correct. After checking, I apparantly do not have a firewire cable for this unit but a 1/2 dozen for camera's and printers. And now that I looked up what a firewire cable is, I will go to Guitar Center and pick one up. And you can also enroll me in homerecording.com's monthly contest for the biggest dunce to appear on the site. I will be back tomorrow with a follow up.

Thanks for your patience.
David

That is correct. After checking, I apparantly do not have a firewire cable for this unit but a 1/2 dozen for camera's and printers. And now that I looked up what a firewire cable is, I will go to Guitar Center and pick one up. And you can also enroll me in homerecording.com's monthly contest for the biggest dunce to appear on the site. I will be back tomorrow with a follow up.

Thanks for your patience.
David

You can get a firewire cable anywhere - you don;t have to go to GC - Office Depot has them, Best Buy, hell I think home depot and CVS might even carry them!

no worries anyway David - welcome to the forum :)

Since I'm going shopping, should I buy a pcmcia card or an adapter? According to another post, I might need one and I'd rather not go twice? I ultimately want to use it on my laptop and I do recall having a pcmcia card that probably fell into the twilight zone.

What?
I'll be honest, your posts are quite cryptic.

Does your laptop have a firewire port?

Not cryptic, needing some enlightenment on things that a pro would take for granted which is like asking how do i turn on the tv and the answer is plug in to a wall outlet. In this case, I needed to know that.

Here is my summary of everything I learned so far. All i needed to know is that for me to connect my Firewire 410 to my computer and for it to be recognized, you require one firewire cable with a 6 to four pin usb cable assuming your computer has a firewire port. Your other firewire cables will not work because they are 6 to 6. This will power up the unit. You do not need a DC adapter or a PCMCIA adapter which you would have used on an older model computer.

Your uno cable is only necessary if you will use a midi instrument with your software. It does not have firewire capabilities and does not power the unit. We will connect that or an appropriate midi connection after the driver is installed and the unit is powered up. After this you will be able to connect a microphone and record.

Going to the store to get the firewire cable.

Ok connected Firewire cable. What's my next step? M-Audio doesn't power on

You are trying to power it via firewire? I am not familiar with that aspect of FW, it may be your FW port is not sending power. You may need to purchase an AC adapter for the 410 - RadioShack has universal power supplies (so does BestBuy I think)

If you do not have the manuals, here is a link - have your read the Quickstart guide?

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/FireWire410_Quickstart.pdf

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/FireWire410-Manual.pdf

It's full of great little gems like these: ;)

User Manual said:
IMPORTANT: The FireWire 410 comes with a high-quality six-pin to six-pin FireWire cable. We strongly suggest you use this cable, or one of equal quality, for optimum audio performance. If your computer is equipped with a four-pin interface, you will need to obtain a four-pin to six-pin FireWire cable, available at most computer electronics retailers. Also note that the FireWire 410 requires a six-pin FireWire connection to supply bus power; if you have a four-pin connection you will need to use the supplied power adapter.

IMPORTANT: It has come to our attention that problems have been reported with several types of IEEE1394 (“FireWire”) devices, including MAudio FireWire devices. These problems occur when using a 6-pin bus-powered connection when plugging and unplugging external FireWire devices, when both the computer and external device are powered on. This is commonly referred to as “hotplugging”. In some cases the FireWire port on the host computer system is rendered permanently inoperable. In other cases the external FireWire device is rendered permanently inoperable. M-Audio does not want users of M-Audio FireWire products to experience such costly problems.
Therefore, M-Audio must require that users of M-Audio FireWire devices refrain from hotplugging any M-Audio FireWire device. You must make your FireWire connection while both computer and FireWire device are powered off; then power on.

We'll, Arcadeko's immediate reaction was "you've lost me", and I'm lost, so in my opinion your replies are cryptic.

To cover all bases, you need
Your interface and a desktop computer or laptop.

The interface has six pin firewire ports.
The computer must have a firewire port.(ieee 1394).

If the computer firewire port is 4 pin, the interface must be powered from it's mains power adapter.
If the computer firewire port is 6 pin, the interface will be powered from the computer's firewire bus power.

Once you've setup as above, you would turn on the computer, plug in the interface, then install the appropriate interface drivers from your disc or from the manufacturers website.
Hope this helps.

Ok, I'll try to be more clear and thank you both for being very specific and continued patience. .

Nobody has the correct AC adapter (Best Buy, Guitar Center, Radio Shack etc...) so I ordered it on Amazon. That means I'll have it next week.

My HP Pavillion Laptop does a 4 pin firewire port. My desktop does not. However, somebody once upon a time did get this thing to work on the desktop. Should I totally eliminate the possibility of using it on my desktop as well?

He also purchased, that I just found, a Adaptec FireConnect for Notebooks AFW 1430. I have no idea if it is useful now but I have it but don't see any place to use it either on my desktop or my laptop. I have an HP Pavillion dv 6000 and I have an Express Card slot which the Adaptec doesn't fit.

I had read the manual and I was aware not to fire up the interface while the computer is on or I'll fry something. However, I erroneously believed that the Uno was something it is not.

If there is a better interface for HP Pavillion dv 6000 that will work with REaper or any other free or extended trial computer software I will buy it. And after a period that I see that I can use it and all the equipment works, I will happily go out and buy a computer software that meets my needs. But first I either have to get this interface working or buy another.

No problem.

The adaptec is designed to add a firewire port to a laptop which does not have firewire built in.
You don't need this.
The laptop should work fine when your power supply arrives.

Are you certain that your desktop has no firewire port?
If you are certain you could purchase this, or similar.
It will add 6 pin firewire ports to you pc.

You shouldn't have to go out and buy a new interface or anything like that. We'll get you up and running. ;)

on the desktop pc,you're looking for SIX pin. The same port that's on the interface,

and of course, you'd have to buy a six pin to six pin cable.

I am certain that it does not have a port that my current firewire cable would fit.

A port that looks like this...

http://www.jakeludington.com/images/dvcam/firewire_4pin.jpg

Nor do I see any port that has firewire symbol.

But I will look again tomorrow.

Thanks again,
David

The good thing about desk tops is that, even if you don't have a Firewire port, you can just buy a PCI card to get yourself one. If you decide to do this, make sure you get one that uses the Texas Instruments chipset.

Back