Firewire Card

it might be a good idea to find out if it has a TI chipset. These seem to be more compatible with audio stuff. This was also confirmed when I asked a similar question here

Jason

TI (Texas Instruments) chipset is generally preferred overall. However, when I had a Firepod (Firebox big brother) I had a firewire card with a VIA chipset, and it worked great. But, when I went over to a Tascam 1804, it wouldn't work with that, so I got one with a TI chipset and that was fine. I sold my Tascam (and the card with it) and got an RME FireFace 800, and now my old VIA card works like a charm again. So who knows.

Also xp sevice pack two can render the firewire port useless for the firepod. but a hot fix will fix it.

Yeah, there were big issues for me in using the Firebox but that's only because of SP2. SP2 buggered everything up. Look into hotfixes that solve 1394 problems. Seems there was a problem where SP2 was limiting the amount of data a firewire port was able to have pass through into the HD....or something like that. It took me a while to fix it up, but it's been no worries since then.

Back