Firewire card/port advice please

fris9

I have a Macbook Pro that I'm running M Powered PT through with an 1814 interface. The Mac only has one firewire port and I used to get by by daisy-chaining the external hard drive and interface to the computer but for some reason it isn't working anymore. From what I gather I just need to get another firewire port, correct? Any suggestions?

I have a Macbook Pro that I'm running M Powered PT through with an 1814 interface. The Mac only has one firewire port and I used to get by by daisy-chaining the external hard drive and interface to the computer but for some reason it isn't working anymore. From what I gather I just need to get another firewire port, correct? Any suggestions?

I never could get my FW1814 to play well with other devices, either. It seems to be a design flaw. If you don't mind losing your S/PDIF ports, you can probably get away with daisy chaining the FW1814 into the second port on your FireWire hard drive.

Failing that, if you have one of the older MacBook Pro models with an ExpressCard slot, slap a FireWire card in the thing and you're set. If you have one of the new ones with the SD card slot, your only choices are either to get an audio interface whose FireWire silicon isn't so buggy or use a *shiver* USB hard drive *shiver*.

Back