Firewire 6pin pin to 9pin adapters

Reggie49

G'Day Guys,
Have just received my Belkin Firewire Express card from the USA, and it has a 9 pin socket and not 6 as on my desktop PCI card.

Searching around I've found that you can buy adapters and cables that have a 6 pin to 9 pin conversions.

My question is, if the audio interface has the 6 pin socket, will it function correctly connecting it to 9 pin firewire card? Or can you foresee problems trying to do this?

This Expresscard, as suggested by Belkin, is a Firewire 800, if it is unsuitable, what do you recommend I buy brand wise and does that have the Texas Instruments chipset? (At least I got that bit right :rolleyes:)

Cheers

Ron

According to Wiki............

"It is backwards compatible to the slower rates and 6-circuit alpha connectors of FireWire 400. However, while the IEEE 1394a and IEEE 1394b standards are compatible, FireWire 800's connector, referred to as a beta connector, is different from FireWire 400's alpha connectors, making legacy cables incompatible. A bilingual cable allows the connection of older devices to the newer port."

So I take it that buying an adapter or conversion cable will definitly work?

I did read you link crankz1, problem was at that stage the expresscard had been purchased and I couldn't get out of it! So I'm looking for an alternative rather than shelling out for another Expresscard. Hence the post on compatibity.

Thanks for the replies guys

Ron

Thanks crankz1, I took your link to refer only to the Expresscard, so I didn't bother searching for cables or adaptors.

Up until the post from dastrick and now yourself, I wasn't going to spend another cracker until I had confirmation that the audio interface would work with the firewire 800 expresscard, using an adaptor lead or plug.

Thanks for your patience and advice! :)

Cheers

Ron

Back