FireWire 410-Pop, Hiss, Snap, etc.

radzikk

Hey y'all,
Been reading the site for awhile, and finnaly thought I'd regester. Anyway...

I recently bought a M-Audio FireWire 410 to upgrade from my SB Audigy card and it works well a major improvement in sound quality, but when I record or play back anything it seems there are various place where the track seems to do the rice crispy thing and "snap, crakel, and pop" I check my input levels pretty close and have tried buffer settings from 256 to 1200 and up. I'm not worried about latency while recording, I keep most FX infront of the 410. I tried soloing the tracks to see if it was just a playback overload kind of thing but it is still there.

I'm very new to the computer recording thing, so maybe I'm missing something obvious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW: I'm running P4 1.7 GHz, 640Mb Ram, Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks Pro, and the Firewire interface goes through my SB Card

Does GT Pro support ASIO drivers yet? I'd try that if you are using WDM drivers.

Also, what Firewire chipset does the Audigy use? I wouldn't put it past Creative to cut corners and use a cheaper, non-Texas Instruments chipset.

Guitar Tracks Pro 3 does support ASIO drivers but only for one card at a time. So I disabled the SB Audigy (it didn't apparently like that, lots of pop ups and stuff) But the FW 410 ran ok. I'm still getting the same effects on my first quick test. I will try some more with different buffer settings.

I tried to find out the chip set for the Audigy and I could not seem to find that info anywhere. Is it possible a seprate FireWire card would help?
Thanks
-k

Back