Firepod Volume Question

leaversday

I have a Firepod but seem to be having problems with the volume levels during the recording of my acoustic/electric guitar and vocals using my Condensor mic.

For the acoustic/electric I use a Lexicon MX200 for effects and for the most part try to record using the condensor mic. I also have a zoom acoustic pedal but have struggled trying to hook this up to the firepod. For vocals, I use the same signal processor but also have trouble with volume level going into Cubase.

I would guess the preamps are more than enough to do this so I assume its me. Any thoughts? I spent a weekend trying to figure this out but came closer to blowing my monitors than finding a solution.

Bulls Hit said:
Levels too loud?....too soft?....

The levels seem to be too soft. I have to crank the gain on the firepod much higher than I feel I should, sometimes almost all the way.

i'm noticing the same thing when recording in cubase. sometimes the preamps will clip and the recorded signal levels still aren't close to 0db. cubase help told me this:

Note that it is not possible to set input gain with the mixer fader!

Check the levels coming in to Cubase LE, and if necessary, adjust the input level in one of the following ways:

-Adjust the output level of the sound source or external mixer.

-Use the audio hardware's own application program to set the input levels, if this possibility is provided. See the documentation of the audio hardware.

-If your audio hardware supports the ASIO Control Panel function, it may be possible to make input level settings.

To open the ASIO Control Panel, open the Device Setup dialog on the Devices menu and click the Control Panel button on the Setup tab for the VST Multitrack device.

Input levels should be as high as possible, without exceeding 0dB.

i tried checking that stuff out and still couldn't find a way to increase the input level for recording... :o :o
what can i do?

I had a similar problem with the Firebox. I changed cables and it's ok. Mind you, my gain is at 3 o'clock, which I feel is a little excessive to have to go to to pick up a decent signal. For the money, really the preamps should amplify very well.

I`ve had no issues with mine, I never go more than round about 3 o`clock.
Usually 12 is more than sufficant

What's the volume of the source? Are you recording direct line in from an amp or are you recording in via a mic'd amp, or from a mic'd acoustic?

I go in with a mic'd acoustic at around 3 o'clock. I'd say that's why my gain needs to be so high. I'm sure that with a signal sent dirent from the outs of an amp that the gain would not have to be anywhere near that.

If it's a condensor mic, try enabling the 48v phantom power (make sure your mics in channel 1 or 2).

rweiss said:
If it's a condensor mic, try enabling the 48v phantom power (make sure your mics in channel 1 or 2).

the channels 1 and 2 only applies for the firebox, the firepod has got phantom power on all eight pre`s.

rweiss said:

Yea, without the Phantom Power theres pretty much no sound at all but thanks for the tip. I'm sure I am hooking things up incorrectly so it's back to the drawing board.

Monkey Allen said:
What's the volume of the source? Are you recording direct line in from an amp or are you recording in via a mic'd amp, or from a mic'd acoustic?

I go in with a mic'd acoustic at around 3 o'clock. I'd say that's why my gain needs to be so high. I'm sure that with a signal sent dirent from the outs of an amp that the gain would not have to be anywhere near that.

I am going into channel 1 with a condensor mic for my acoustic guitar. I have a Lexicon MX200 Signal Processor that I am going into from the Preamp out then back into the input of the firepod on the back of the unit. I have an acoustic/electric but I can't seem to get a good sound if I try to go into the firepod with a balanced chord. I also sing into the condesor mic using the same signal processor for reverb, etc...

I must say that I am fairly new to this stuff so i'm guessing it's improperly hooked up.

I've had no issues regarding this, but still believe the preamps are a bit weak.

Check the source's level, cables... try a different mic to see if that's the proble. Activate the PP for condensers... if it it clipping, the the problem is not the input....check headphones level... wave-form amplitude on the software's image.

Yeah most of the gain seems to happen after 12 o clock - totally different from the Yamaha pres I had in my old mixer.

However even wound past 3 oclock, they're still very quiet

Back