Firepod + Sonar chewing up my CPU

DM1

I just switched to a Firepod from a Tascam US224. Projects that only moderately taxed my system when using the US224 are now killing the CPU. I've tried increasing the Firepod's latency, and setting the CPU option to "low" but it doesn't seem to make any difference. A 14-track project with a dozen or so FX, and I get the red DROPOUT warning every 10 seconds or so. (With the US224, I regularly worked with 30+ tracks, and all kinds of inserts...)

I've gotta be missing something, but can't figure out what.

I'm using the Firepod's ASIO driver (the latest version too, from their site. As well as the latest firmware.) I'm on an AMD64/3200+ with Windows XP / SP1, running Sonar 4PE

Has anyone encountered something similar?

just for info... what's your cpu and amount of ram?

I use the wdm driver and set the latency on the firepod to it's lowest setting (1.5 or 4). (When i have it high it gets choppy which is completely counter intuitive but who knows)... I set sonars latency up depending on the number of plugins and if i need to input monitor. When its set to max (all the way right) i can run 24 tracks with at least that many plug ins with no problems. I get tremendous performance out of it like this. Also I have a 3ghz P4 with 1gig of ram.

Back