Firepod skipping problem. PLEASE HELP!!!

alphadelta80

My firepod is brand new. I have only used it twice. I am using a Gateway AMD Turion 64 X2 laptop with 160GB hard drive and 2 gigs of memory. The Firepod is hooked up to a 3 port firewire notebook card adapter thingy.
When I record, the audio comes in clean but it skips during recording and playback. It's kinda like listening to a scratched CD. It's one quick skip here and there then it continues playing. The funny thing is, when it skips during recording, the skip is not there on playback. Also when playing back, the skips aren't usually in the same place.
I've heard about some latency thing. I thought it may be the software. I am using Nuendo 2 but I also had the same problem whemn I tried recording in Cubase LE. Any suggestions?

A few things to try.

1. Make sure you've installed the asio drivers.
2. Go into the firepod control panel thingy and increase the latency. Try 10 or 15 ms
3. Again in the firepod control thing, select CPU - Medium

I had similar problems with an audio interface. I bought an adaptec firewire card and the problem was solved.

The card I am using is the TECHGEAR 1394 FireWire 3-port cardbus.

Also, I have tried to go into the Firepod control panel and adjust the numbers but it didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

I just bought the Adaptec AFW-4300C for my desktop...and man, I still have problems using my MOTU 828mkII running crackle and pop free! I can't tolerate this no more...I understand that this firewire card does not contain the T.I chipset. however, my previous card did and still i encountered crackle and pop nightmares.

I read somewhere that the AFW-4300C uses the Agere chipset which is a subsdiary of Lucent. On the MOTU site, it says that Lucent chipsets are fine for their products. So I don't know...is my firewire card in the safe side?

Sorry to hi jack your thread. :(

studiomaster said:
I just bought the Adaptec AFW-4300C for my desktop...and man, I still have problems using my MOTU 828mkII running crackle and pop free! I can't tolerate this no more...I understand that this firewire card does not contain the T.I chipset. however, my previous card did and still i encountered crackle and pop nightmares.

I read somewhere that the AFW-4300C uses the Agere chipset which is a subsdiary of Lucent. On the MOTU site, it says that Lucent chipsets are fine for their products. So I don't know...is my firewire card in the safe side?

Sorry to hi jack your thread. :(

What chipset is your computer?

I just bought another Firewire notebook card. The store I went to didn't have the adaptec card that was recommended here but the sales guy said it was the same specs. Only the brand was different. It's the Dynex 2 port card. Model # DX-FC202. I tried it and I'm still having the same problem. I even tried playing back a few tracks I made last year with Propellerheads Reason. I still got the audio skips every now and then.

Sorry. I'm not really clear on all this computer talk.
Here is a link to the computer I'm using. Can anyone see any reason why I would be experiencing those annoying audio "skips:" when recording and playback with the Firepod.

alphadelta80 said:
You rock!! That did it. I disabled the wireless network thing and the problem went away. Thanks a million.

No problem. ;)

Had the same issue with my Onyx 1220 and Gateway Athlon-64 laptop (MX7515).

Seems like Gateway needs to do a better job of isolating the network adapter from the Firewire chipset when it comes to resources (IRQs, etc...)

Back